Bikeroutetoaster.com

borisface
borisface Posts: 273
edited November 2013 in Road general
Been using the above website for a couple of years to plan rides that are then uploaded in .tcx or .gpx format to my garmin 800. Unfortunately for the last 3 weeks the website has either been down or not had any map functionality. The good thing about it was it was free. Are there any other websites where you can plan a ride then up load to the garmin, there seem to be some that allow you to transfer the ride from the garmin to the website but not vice versa.

Cheers

Chris

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I believe that the google API that the site used has now been switched off.

It will be a real shame if they don't update the site as I have used it a lot over the years.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    marcusjb wrote:
    I believe that the google API that the site used has now been switched off.

It will be a real shame if they don't update the site as I have used it a lot over the years.

Damn!! BRT is offline, it is no more. BRT is a dead web site. Bu$$er :cry::cry::cry:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • The site was completely down a couple of weeks ago, then came back to life last week, but you couldn't get any maps up. When I checked this morning it was completely down again. Is there a free alternative?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    RidewithGPS has a free option that is perfectly good for route planning and exporting GPX/TCX files. I use it.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    wongataa wrote:
    RidewithGPS has a free option that is perfectly good for route planning and exporting GPX/TCX files. I use it.

+1

Far better the BRT when you get used to it. I moved from BRT ages ago after discovering it.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    bikehike.co.uk did the same as brt ...
  • wongataa wrote:

+1 ridewithgps is excellent, no need to become a premium member.
  • Strava has this function also and its free

simple to use too
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Strava has this function also and its free

simple to use too

I thought it was free only to premium members, and therefore not free :?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    drlodge wrote:
    Strava has this function also and its free

simple to use too

I thought it was free only to premium members, and therefore not free :?

No its free to all user's, nice having all mapping under on website.
  • peteone
    peteone Posts: 152
    You can plan and upload to device via Garmin connect.
    Cervelo R3
    Giant TCR SL
    Ibis Tranny
  • Dizeee
    Dizeee Posts: 337
    Hang on, Strava allows you to plot a route and save it as a .dat file to upload a breadcrumb trail to an Edge 200? If so how?

I am trying to work out how to upload a breadcrumb trail to my 200 now brt is down. I heard map my ride allows it is this true?
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    wongataa wrote:

But when using it on a Garmin Edge 500 you cant set the turn warning to a certain distance before the actual turn otherwise it bleeps to turn as you are at the turn or past it slightly, you could with BRT.
    Think you need a subs RidewithGPS account this functionality.

(i used to map the ride with RidewithGPS and export it to BRT to add the pre-turn warning prompts in).
    Cheers, Stu
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    duckson wrote:
    wongataa wrote:

But when using it on a Garmin Edge 500 you cant set the turn warning to a certain distance before the actual turn otherwise it bleeps to turn as you are at the turn or past it slightly, you could with BRT.
    Think you need a subs RidewithGPS account this functionality.

(i used to map the ride with RidewithGPS and export it to BRT to add the pre-turn warning prompts in).
    This is true but you can always manually add warning points yourself instead of thaving them auto generated. I don't use them so I'm not bothered either way though.
  • Thanks for the replies BRT is still down but at least

Strava
    Garminconnect
    ridewithgps

All offer a free plan and download feature. Excellent!