Shops that take part exchange?

jasonsutcliffe
jasonsutcliffe Posts: 56
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hopefully this is an appropriate area of the forum, I've not found anything that covers this searching the forum...

Does anybody know of any bike shops in the North (preferably Yorkshire/Lancs) that takes part exchange for the purchase of a road bike? I have a lot of money tied up in a 2013 MTB (cost over 3k) so looking to try and part ex it if I can not sell it... Willing to take a reasonable hit, within reason..

Would welcome your views/experience. Thanks all!
Specialized S-Works Tarmac (2011)
Specialized Rockhopper (2010)
Specialized S-Works Epic (2004) STOLEN Oct 2012

Comments

• carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Keswick bikes take part ex and sell giant trek cannondale specialized road bikes. Plus a few others. And loads of MTBs obviously. Eugene the South African chap who runs the road showroom is a cracking bloke. Speak to Andy or Amos for part ex values.

About half an hour from Kirby Lonsdale which is close the border with lancs and yorks
    https://www.facebook.com/keswickbikes
  • That's great, thanks for the info, will check them out
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Leisure Lakes definitely offer px on bikes. Nottingham or Preston would be closest to you, it seems.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • MIABS
    MIABS Posts: 53
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Leisure Lakes definitely offer px on bikes. Nottingham or Preston would be closest to you, it seems.

There is a Leisure Lakes at Bury off the M66 which is just down the M62 from you in Leeds.
    My ride: Ribble New Sportive Racing
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Unless you really don't want to, I'd sell it yourself either here or eBay, you'll get a lot more money, any shop that will part ex is going to want to sell it on themselves and make some money so you'll end up with less cash.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • MIABS wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

There is a Leisure Lakes at Bury off the M66 which is just down the M62 from you in Leeds.

There's also one in Lancaster City centre.

BTW, Keswick is more than half an hour from J36 of the M6 (Kirkby Lonsdale - more like an hour with Lakes traffic). Going to Penrith (J40 and on the A66 might be quicker, depending on where you're travelling from).
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    arran77 wrote:
    Unless you really don't want to, I'd sell it yourself either here or eBay, you'll get a lot more money, any shop that will part ex is going to want to sell it on themselves and make some money so you'll end up with less cash.

Agree with the above - LBS will want a margin on both your bike and the bike that they are selling - you'll lose out both ways. Best to get the cash from your MTB and shop for value!
  • Yeah was thinking they'd not be too generous! Will ask at least for comparison, and see if there is a 2013 model going cheap. Nothing biting on the classified forum yet so may give ebay a quick try, and failing that go for convenience as I have a load to clear out before a move overseas!