New groupset...what to buy?

nick.evans87
nick.evans87 Posts: 3
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hey,
I've got a specialized allez which I bought in October 2011. Everything on it is what came as standard apart from the RS80 wheels I bought at the start of this year. I'm now looking to upgrade the groupset but i'm on a bit of a budget, and don't need anything particularly fancy anyway.I usually do the weekly club run and the odd sportive, but might try a bit of racing next season. I was wondering what people recommend and where I can find the best deal.
Any advice is appreciated,
Cheers,
Nick

Comments

• carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Depends what's on it. Can pick up. Ultegra group sets cheap now so go for that. Upgrading from tiagra to 105 is a waste of time. If you are going to go to the bother of swapping the group, get something 2 or 3 levels higher.

That said, don't go over the top. An Allez with a sram red or dura ace di2 is pointless as the frame is under specced for the group
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    eh what groupset is on it?

Regardless here's two options without going absolutely mad on price...

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k408/a51776/105-5750-groupset-compact-2x10-speed-black.html

That's a 105 gruppo, can't go wrong with it.

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k408/a108743/ultegra-6800-groupset-2x11-standard-53-39.html

This is the new 11-Speed Ultegra. I'd go with with this one because it's just been released this year, 11 speed rather than 10, it's the future, there's better ergonomics with shifters, looks better, especially crank and shifters, better braking and I think the hub on RS80 are mainly focused on 11 speed too.

So yeah, I'd go with the Ultegra for the wee bit more, better performance and looks, but if money is tight, (which it is everywhere,) there is absolutely nothing wrong with 105 gruppo, my Dad has it and it doesn't skip a beat :)

Hope this helps
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    waste of time and money.
  • I have the same desire in mind.

Currently using mixed Apex/Rival parts. My heart says go for a new stronger/faster/lighter/better groupset, but my head says no, my parts are already good enough.

Maybe you go buying the groupset that you like the most based on brake/shifter ergonomics and look, and then just ride more.
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    What are you expecting to achieve?

Perfomance (i.e speed) - will not be had by this.
    Weight (reduction) - is going to be completely unnoticeable.
    Bling - is debateable (depending what you have on there now).
    Better shifting - is possible but set up is the key here so you existing one may be able to be improved.

If however you existing group set is shot then go for Ultegra which can be had for under £600 new. Personally I would advise against 11 speed.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • The new 11 speed is awesome, it shifts as well as the electronic but is a complete arse to set up.

Plus the cables (that are needed for the brilliant shifting) are hideously expensive.

Personally, save for a better frame and or wheels, you'll notice it far more than a groupset upgrade.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    IrishMac wrote:
    I think the hub on RS80 are mainly focused on 11 speed too.

RS80 is 10 speed.

RS81 11 speed or 10 with spacer.
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Save money. Sell the bike and get a newer one with upgraded bits included.

Else then you will want to upgrade other parts later on.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    anything that isn't crappy sram ....
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    I'm guessing you're riding a 2300, Sora or Tiagra groupset. I've been running the Sora set up on my bike for 18 months and it's been great. I'm in process of upgrading to Campy Athena as part of a the plan to which will involve purchasing a new frame and migrating the new gruppo to that.

Take a look at the ribble site, which will give you a price for all Shimano and Campy groupsets and take your pick. IMHO they are all OK but most pundits seem to suggest that 105 or up is the place to be (Campy Veloce or above) for the more serious rider.

You've already put a fair amount of investment into the wheels so perhaps you've got the budget and merlin cycles were discounting Shimano groupsets at time of writing.

Good luck
    Someone's just passed me again
  • smidsy wrote:
    What are you expecting to achieve?

Perfomance (i.e speed) - will not be had by this.
    Weight (reduction) - is going to be completely unnoticeable.
    Bling - is debateable (depending what you have on there now).

Better shifting - is possible but set up is the key here so you existing one may be able to be improved.

If however you existing group set is shot then go for Ultegra which can be had for under £600 new. Personally I would advise against 11 speed.

hmmm dunno .... if you went from 105 to SRAM Force you would knock off 611g I wold call that a noticeable reduction
    + Force looks better than 105

However for £600+ ???? is it worth it on OPs bike!?
  • cougie
    Seriously - you'd notice 611g of the weight of bike and rider combined ? Can you also tell when your waterbottle is empty without looking ?
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    cougie wrote:
    Seriously - you'd notice 611g of the weight of bike and rider combined ? Can you also tell when your waterbottle is empty without looking ?

All depends if he has had a dump before going out or not.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've got 3 bikes, one using 105, one Ultegra and the other Dura-ace.
    Putting weight to one side(but it does add up in the end). They all shift equally well and brake as well as each other(once you swap the pads), as you go up the line the shift is smoother and lighter to the touch but it's not "f**k me that's different".

Shimano 105 is £379 at Merlin and they've got another 10% off at the moment, my mate upgraded his Giant TCR from Tiagra using the same offer a few months back and he's well happy with the change, add £20 for some swissstop pads and you're sorted.
  • cougie wrote:

yep I notice it when carrying a full water bottle as to none at all. Its not massive but it is recognisable.

add a new set of wheels and you could have over 1kg off a bike which around hills is noticeable.
  • cougie
    You're like a ninja cyclist !

I'd just save the cost of the groupset and get some really nice wheels - you can take those onto the next bike.
  • smidsy
    I notice it when carrying a full water bottle as to none at all. Its not massive but it is recognisable.

No you did not.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've just had a sad moment and weighed a full 750ml bottle, it comes in at 800gms so a couple of those on a summers day is going to come in at 3.5lb.... No water for me next summer. :D
  • smidsy wrote:
    Personally I would advise against 11 speed.

Because??
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • smidsy
    smidsy wrote:

Because??

There is no real benefit and the thickness of the components leads to short lifespan.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Because??

There is no real benefit and the thickness of the components leads to short lifespan.

Do you have any experience of this?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Of course he doesn't. But it's great fun to speculate.
  • smidsy
    smidsy wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Because??

I have direct experience of 10 speed v 9 speed and earlier. 11 speed is only going to be worse. It is inevetible the more and more speeds you cram on.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Get yourself 7800 dura ace if you can live with the cables. Changed from tiagra last year and the difference was huge. Lots lighter and much better sharp shifting, looks better too. Should get the bits pretty cheap by now.
  • smidsy wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Because??

I have direct experience of 10 speed v 9 speed and earlier. 11 speed is only going to be worse. It is inevetible the more and more speeds you cram on.

10 speed from 9 squeezed in a much needed 16t and closer ratios on the top end to get a 27t bail out. Nice little upgrade if you can grab yourself a deal off the forum. That will do me for a few years. 7800 ftw.