Wheels: Upgrade from DT Axis 2.0 - Cosmic Elites?

EarlofBarnet
EarlofBarnet Posts: 673
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to make some upgrades the wheels on my Allez from the stock DT Axis 2.0's and I'm not too sure what to go with. I have borrowed some Mavic Cosmic Elites from a friend, but although they look a lot nicer (aero spokes etc) they don't seem much lighter than my Axis wheels. The front wheel appeared to be the same weight and the rear wheel was about 100g lighter. Will the aero spokes make much difference on the road? Or is there another wheel I should consider? Shimano RS80's?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Are you upgrading for the sake of upgrading or there is something specific you want to address that the Axis don't give you?
    It's not a good time of the year to look for "nice wheels"... it'll be a good 4 months before you can make use of them.
    The Cosmic Elite are quite pedestrian frankly the RS 80 are no longer produced or supported by Shimano/Madison.
    Also, you have to be realistic about yourself... if you are heavy, then maybe you should leave the light climbing wheels where they are... conversely, if you are very light there is no reason to spend money for deep section wheels that will be hard to handle in cross winds
    left the forum March 2023
  • I have an allez and treated myself to the 2014 fulcrum 5's. It transformed the bike! For the same effort on fulcrums compared to the DT's I go 2-3 kph faster.
  • Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm upgrading for upgrading a sake being honest. I quite fancied something a little lighter and a bit nicer looking. I'm pretty light (10st 4)? Maybe money better down on a tyre upgrade and pocket the cash until spring when I'd get better use from some new wheels?