GoPro mounts?

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Thinking of buying a GoPro and I wondered if people had got any experience on what mounts are the best?

Been watching youtube videos and I am thinking a chest mount might be best as I don't use a full face helmet and the camera seems unstable on a regular helmet. The other option is a stem or bar mount but not sure on that. Its not for downhill, just general dicking around.

Comments

• Chest mount for everything.

Helmet is too high and anywhere else is too rattly.
  • Chest mount for everything.

Cheers.

That was something else I had noticed, they seem to sometimes make a annoying clicking noise. I guess its the camera moving slightly in the housing. It seemed to be reduced with the chest mounted camera, I guess its all down to the mount.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Chest mount for everything.

Cheers.

That was something else I had noticed, they seem to sometimes make a annoying clicking noise. I guess its the camera moving slightly in the housing. It seemed to be reduced with the chest mounted camera, I guess its all down to the mount.

The camera doesn't move at all in the housing, it's a v snug fit. For off road use the chest mount is definitely best all rounder - good viewing angle (you can see the bars and front wheel and what you're doing with 'em) and isolates vibration best.

Decide if you really want one first though, and how much you'll realistically use it (they're bloody expensive things now). I bought the non HD motorsports wide version as an impulse buy when that was first out a few years ago (got it at cost price through work, so it was cheap). Used it half a dozen times until the novelty wore off and it's never been used since.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Always mount it on the rider, not the bike. Chest or helmet mount.
  • john2002
    john2002 Posts: 158
    depends on what you want to film. if you want to film one long video of your ride get a chest mount. this will give you the smootheist video. but if your going to edit your video, get a bar mount also so you can get some shots at different angles. the mounts are cheap enough on ebay.
    but as kowalski675 said be honist with yourself how much are you likley to use it? there are many cheap alternatives out there, with go quality video. also you can mount any camera with a standard 1/4 screw mount to the go pro mounting system.
    GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011, Fixie, frankenbike
  • I can pickup a HD Hero3 + black edition for £200 so its not too bad at all. It will be good when I am away too as I can use it in the sea etc. I think I would get quite a lot of use out of it and if not as I am getting it cheap I won't lose out too much if I sold it on.
  • Decide if you really want one first though, and how much you'll realistically use it (they're bloody expensive things now). I bought the non HD motorsports wide version as an impulse buy when that was first out a few years ago (got it at cost price through work, so it was cheap). Used it half a dozen times until the novelty wore off and it's never been used since.

Agree with that, I've got a contour which I used quite a bit at 1st. But then every ride/video is pretty much the same after a while.

They're only ever any good if you or your mates crash a lot!
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    I agree with the comments about how much you'll use it. It is a novelty item and at the end of the day, no one is really that interested in watching your vids I'm afraid.

I bought a HD Drift and it sits lonely in the house most of the time.
  • john2002
    :D agree.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Maybe road will suit him better.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Clicking noises are usually from using a cheap low quality memory card.
  • Kowalski675
    Decide if you really want one first though, and how much you'll realistically use it (they're bloody expensive things now). I bought the non HD motorsports wide version as an impulse buy when that was first out a few years ago (got it at cost price through work, so it was cheap). Used it half a dozen times until the novelty wore off and it's never been used since.

Agree with that, I've got a contour which I used quite a bit at 1st. But then every ride/video is pretty much the same after a while.

Yeah - most normal rides, while they may be fun to ride, don't make interesting videos, especially for other people who weren't part of the ride. Most people make the mistake of posting vids that are far too long - I've rarely got more than a minute or two into anyone elses GoPro internet vids, regardless of subject, unless they're exceptionally good. The one time I really wish I'd had mine switched on and would've got a great few seconds footage (hit a big deep patch of gravel up near Windermere, lost front and back wheels, nearly highsided, kicked right out of seat and nearly ended up in a wall, but somehow stayed on by pure luck) I'd turned the damn thing off, 'cos it was a road I didn't know, so I knew I'd be going at a sensible pace that would make a boring vid. I was gutted. :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:

:lol: WTF? Was he drunk? He needs to get some flat pedals asap. At least he'll bounce well, with all that blubber. :lol:
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    I have yet to use a chest or helmet mount,
    Generally on the stem, but ive had a play a few times and had it on my fork, rear arm and seatpost just for different views and angles, but as someone has said, not too many people are really that bothered unless they see people falling off :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    Graham K wrote:
    but ive had a play a few times and had it on my fork, rear arm and seatpost just for different views and angles,

Yeah, different angles keep things more interesting, particularly if you've got more than one cam and editing software. The thing that GoPro do better than any of their opposition is the variety of mounting options.
  • john2002
    Graham K wrote:
    but ive had a play a few times and had it on my fork, rear arm and seatpost just for different views and angles,

Yeah, different angles keep things more interesting, particularly if you've got more than one cam and editing software. The thing that GoPro do better than any of their opposition is the variety of mounting options.

i 2nd that. go pro is great for all it different mounting option.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Eye or jaw level for me, so mounted on the side of a ff or piss pot, chest mounts are ok too.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:

:lol: WTF? Was he drunk? He needs to get some flat pedals asap. At least he'll bounce well, with all that blubber. :lol:
    Just new, and clipped in, and it's a bit steeper up than it looks, and he was in totally the wrong gears, and managed to hit every root possible.
    But at least we all got a laugh out of it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    It doesn't look very up at all. Are you sure he wasn't drunk? :lol:
  • john2002
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Chest mount, especially if there's girl in your bunch, helmet mounts can produce unexpected T&A shows.
    some times unconsciously, some times very consciously, but very true
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Check out my signature which has some vids in, most are helmet mounted which does feel werid. I think a few of the older vids are chest mounted and a couple of the latest are bar mounted...............it might give you an idea of what suits you.