apple "thro" gate's window

freddiegrubb
freddiegrubb Posts: 448
edited November 2013 in The cake stop
Evening, managed to get all my music files onto my daughter's computer ok. using windows media player (mp3) now she wants to put some of them onto her apple I-pod. Now I understand Bill Gates & Steve Jobs weren't business buddies & the two systems aren't compatible so the question is --- is this possible? Any replies not too much tech. speak please as my comp. skills are limited ( like my bike riding)

Comments

• RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    If they are standard mp3s then you just need to install iTunes, plug in the iPod, and do something like this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Add-Music-to-an-iPod

You will only have problems if they aren't real mp3s, but some strange Windows-only format that might have copy prevention (these used to be sold online a few years ago, but the music industry has mostly given up on this nonsense).
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Stop thinking.
    Try doing it.
    If that doesn't work, Google it.
    If that doesn't help, then ask the question.

Why ponder what might be, when chances are it won't be?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    The difficult bit in my experience is getting music bought from iTunes to work on other systems. I think there's apps to do it but in the past I had to do so convoluted process involving burning them to CD then ripping them back again.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    You already have the music files installed.
    Download and install iTunes.
    Import the music.
    Hook up the iPod.
    Sync.

Don't see how it can be difficult.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Pross wrote:
    The difficult bit in my experience is getting music bought from iTunes to work on other systems. I think there's apps to do it but in the past I had to do so convoluted process involving burning them to CD then ripping them back again.

The CD burning trick should only be necessary for older downloads with copy prevention (DRM). Apple started offering some tracks without DRM in 2007 (for a premium, 'iTunes Plus'), and made all new downloads DRM-free some time in 2009. The other issue is that iTunes audio downloads are in AAC format rather than mp3, and some older portable mp3 player can't read them (even if the files are DRM-free). In this case, you'd need to do a format conversion.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    daviesee wrote:

Grasshopper, why ponder what might be, when chances are it won't be?

FTFY

Wise words indeed, Master Po.