9 Speed group set options

Dudders29
Dudders29 Posts: 171
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
What are the options, going from cheap to expensive, when it comes to a 9 speed group set. I'm having a tourer built and was wondering what's out there ?

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Getting harder to source in anything other that Sora in Shimano range, which is a real shame because 9 speed is great. You can still get 105 and Ultegra shifters if you really trawl the interweb (Germany often comes up trumps) and then just get 10 speed mechs/chainset as they are not really speed specific.

No idea about the other brands.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Drop bars or flat bars?
    left the forum March 2023
  • The last best 9 speed option was Tiagra. I just got some last year for my CX bike as I wanted to keep the 9sp spacing.

Maybe there's only Sora left now: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himgrss279
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You can still get new ultegra cassettes and chains (from the old 6500 series).

I really rate my current Dura Ace 7700 shifters and the 6500 ones were great till i ruined them in a crash. Keep an eye out on eBay for shifters. I would avoid the octalink crankset as it's not the greatest system. I think the octalink isn't the world's greatest - look at something square taper.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    9 speed parts are pretty easy to get hold of if you know where to look, I do it seems most shops don't. Shifters are the sticking point though the highest tier new I can get easily is Tiagra. From a certain U.S distributor everything is available.
    Plenty of square taper cranksets new and good one too.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • smidsy
    Just to clarify I was talking new components. Obviously lots of possibilities 2nd hand.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You can still get new Ultegra 9 cassettes from all the usual retailers. I have a pair of NOS Ultegra hubs (32F&R) but were a pain to get hold of and funnily enough now I don't really want them.

NoS parts can be found if you look hard enough but generally 2nd hand parts work very well anyway.
  • coriordan wrote:
    I have a pair of NOS Ultegra hubs (32F&R) but were a pain to get hold of and funnily enough now I don't really want them.

Yeah, not quite sure why you think you are a 32 H rider... you're fit as a fiddle...
    left the forum March 2023
  • smidsy
    coriordan wrote:
    You can still get new Ultegra 9 cassettes from all the usual retailers. I have a pair of NOS Ultegra hubs (32F&R) but were a pain to get hold of and funnily enough now I don't really want them.

NoS parts can be found if you look hard enough but generally 2nd hand parts work very well anyway.

OK to add further clarity I was talking group sets not individual (consumable ) components. The OP asked about Group Sets
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Nowt wrong with the current sora, I have it on my Genesis and it shifts very nicely. Seems to be a good solid performer, just what I require from a commuting bike!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I got a used 9 speed Tiagra groupset from a fellow forumite. All cables etc plus an extra chain and cassette. Happy bunny.