Boardman Road Comp comparable to last year's model?

merchine
merchine Posts: 15
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I know nothing about bikes, but am set on getting the BRC14 from Halfords. My only question, given that I cannot find any reviews, is just to check that it's similar in spec to the previous models, or the Boardman Road Race that it's replaced?

I've just seen examples (e.g. Triban) where newer models aren't as good as older models.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Comments

• The main difference is that the previous Road Comp had Sram Apex 10 speed gearing. The 2014 model has 9 Speed Shimano Sora gearing. You may know that you can get an additional 10% discount on top of any Halfords promotions by getting a 'British Cycling' membership. I have used my 'Ride' membership but it may be that you could save a little by getting the 'Bronze' membership even although you don't want to race.
  • kendo11 wrote:
    The main difference is that the previous Road Comp had Sram Apex 10 speed gearing. The 2014 model has 9 Speed Shimano Sora gearing.

Thanks. But...erm...is that an improvement, a worsening or just a change?
    kendo11 wrote:
    You may know that you can get an additional 10% discount on top of any Halfords promotions by getting a 'British Cycling' membership. I have used my 'Ride' membership but it may be that you could save a little by getting the 'Bronze' membership even although you don't want to race.

Yeah, cheers! Intend to use that and spend it on a few bits including some Shimano r540 pedals.
  • merchine wrote:
    kendo11 wrote:
    The main difference is that the previous Road Comp had Sram Apex 10 speed gearing. The 2014 model has 9 Speed Shimano Sora gearing.

I think most would consider it worse, although with new Sora supposedly being eseentially last years Tiagra, its still very functional and not that bad.

On the whole though, it does seem that Boardman bikes are, in general, becoming less good value for the money than when they first appeared.

All being said though, if the Comp is the one I was looking at the other day, its a pretty striking bike, almost looks polished with the paint job.
  • Nairnster wrote:
    merchine wrote:
    kendo11 wrote:

I think most would consider it worse, although with new Sora supposedly being eseentially last years Tiagra, its still very functional and not that bad.

On the whole though, it does seem that Boardman bikes are, in general, becoming less good value for the money than when they first appeared.

All being said though, if the Comp is the one I was looking at the other day, its a pretty striking bike, almost looks polished with the paint job.

Ok, cheers.

I think that the Comps are silver, as per:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65710#tab2
  • You will find that a lot of the higher priced bikes are all 10 speed, I would say that 10 speed is the norm these days. The Sora shifters use a thumb gear shift on the inner brake levers, again the higher Shimano group sets all use 'paddles' for up/down shift. maybe someone could further explain more advantages. Just noticed that Halfords are selling off 2012/2013 Boardman bikes with 10% off the 2013 prices. Select the Boardman Road bike options then click on the banner where it says 'cboardman'. So, the 2013 'Comp' is £719.99 less present Halfords £60 discount. This gives £659.99. With 'British Cycling' 10% discount makes it £593.99. You have to 'reserve' at this price so you can take the 'British Cycling' printout that you need and present the printout at Halfords till to get it for £593.99. I have a 2012/2013 'Comp', very pleased with it. Don't think you'll get another bike with Sram Apex at this price. Be quick getting your 'British Cycling' membership if you don't already have it !
  • The new Sora does NOT have the thumb lever, it uses the paddles like the other Shimano groups.
  • Sorry, got thumb lever info from Official Shimano Website, they need to modernise it !
  • kendo11 wrote:
    You will find that a lot of the higher priced bikes are all 10 speed, I would say that 10 speed is the norm these days. The Sora shifters use a thumb gear shift on the inner brake levers, again the higher Shimano group sets all use 'paddles' for up/down shift. maybe someone could further explain more advantages. Just noticed that Halfords are selling off 2012/2013 Boardman bikes with 10% off the 2013 prices. Select the Boardman Road bike options then click on the banner where it says 'cboardman'. So, the 2013 'Comp' is £719.99 less present Halfords £60 discount. This gives £659.99. With 'British Cycling' 10% discount makes it £593.99. You have to 'reserve' at this price so you can take the 'British Cycling' printout that you need and present the printout at Halfords till to get it for £593.99. I have a 2012/2013 'Comp', very pleased with it. Don't think you'll get another bike with Sram Apex at this price. Be quick getting your 'British Cycling' membership if you don't already have it !

Yeah, cheers. Think I might do that.

Don't know a lot about bikes, but from what I've read the white 2012/13 Comp looks slightly better than the 2014 Comp (which has pretty much just replaced the Road Race), and it's also more expensive albeit still reduced.
  • Nairnster wrote:
    The new Sora does NOT have the thumb lever, it uses the paddles like the other Shimano groups.
    Granted, but the new Boardman Comp has 9-speed Sora which has the thumb levers. No offence meant.
  • kendo11 wrote:
    Nairnster wrote:
    The new Sora does NOT have the thumb lever, it uses the paddles like the other Shimano groups.
    Granted, but the new Boardman Comp has 9-speed Sora which has the thumb levers. No offence meant.

No it doesn't, the new Sora is 9spd, black finish and has the paddle behind the brake lever

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/ ... sora.html#
  • It appears the Boardman range has dropped the spec across the range according to the guy at my local Halfords, I love my Boardman, but if i knew then what i know now, i would have got a second hand one from the hundreds of lightly used ones that come up on Ebay.
  • It appears the Boardman range has dropped the spec across the range according to the guy at my local Halfords, I love my Boardman, but if i knew then what i know now, i would have got a second hand one from the hundreds of lightly used ones that come up on Ebay.

Yeah, but you can't do that with C2W unfortunately, and I've already bought my vouchers.
  • The range has been renamed and removed, the Road Comp of 2014 is the 2013 Road Race, the Road Comp of 2013 was higher spec but also pricier
  • The range has been renamed and removed, the Road Comp of 2014 is the 2013 Road Race, the Road Comp of 2013 was higher spec but also pricier

Yep. Which is why I'm leaning towards the 2012/13 Comp (which retailed at ~£800) versus the 2014 Comp.