No one ever sells small bikes ?

Dudders29
Dudders29 Posts: 171
edited November 2013 in Road general
Having had a mootch round the classifieds for a few months, not once have i found a road bike with a small frame. Nothing less than a 52. Being 5'7 with a 29 inside leg ive never found a bike on here that would fit me. I realise that its everybody else that is a normal size and not me but it would great to see some small bikes as we all tall.

Comments

• I have a new old stock 49cm Kona Kapu for sale.I would suit your height.

Frame, fork, FSA Orbit X headset and ultegra front mech for £200
  • Don't worry Midge, when you grow up they'll be plenty more bikes your size.

Either that or try a bike shop.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Don't worry Midge, when you grow up they'll be plenty more bikes your size.

Either that or try a bike shop.

lol, i think your right there :)
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    I'm 5'8 with a 29 inside leg and i wouldn't ride anything smaller than a 52.
    In fact i find 54 is the size for me and it looks right (not like some of these bikes that look way too small for the rider) !!
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    ^ I'm virtually the same.

The OP isn't that small - it's only a couple of inches below the average.

But, yes, I certainly wouldn't be typically riding anything smaller than a 52.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I have a boardman team that will fit you,be in classifieds later.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • I'm 5'8 and ride a 54. No way could I ride a 52.
  • I suppose this goes to show how bikes are not measured equally. Ive got a 50cm Moser 111 and it is bob on for size for me, and at that size i get no stand over. You guys with the same inside leg as me must be crushed against the top tube if your on a 52/54.
    I tried a medium Specialized Allez Elite and my nads were squashed against the top tube.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I agree with the OP. As a shorty around the same height but slightly longer in the leg, my winter bike that I'm about to change is a 52 and for me too big. My Basso is a 48 sloping and fits perfect. My replacement winter frame set/bike will be no bigger than a 50 and again preferably a 48 sloping. There's plenty of them around as new and used deals.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • All of this talk about seat tube lengths is irrelevent. It's effective top tube length which mainly determines what size frame you should go for.
  • StillGoing
    denniskwok wrote:
    All of this talk about seat tube lengths is irrelevent. It's effective top tube length which mainly determines what size frame you should go for.

Some bikes such as the Basso Astra aren't sized from the top tube length but the seat tube. I agree that it all equates to the same top tube length though in another manufacturer of equivalent size.
  • I don't get the idea of having a problem with stand over height.

I am definitely not tall or long-legged, but the Sworks 54 is almost too small for me, as I have max stem length (130) and almost max seat height.

• StillGoing
    I don't get the idea of having a problem with stand over height.

I am definitely not tall or long-legged, but the Sworks 54 is almost too small for me, as I have max stem length (130) and almost max seat height.

Agree. Stand over height is not a measurement to assess whether a bike fits you.
  • Bernie, how tall are you?
  • gloomyandy wrote:
    Bernie, how tall are you?

See above, 5'8.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    I'm 5ft 8in, 30cm inside leg and found a medium (53) Boardman Team Carbon a tad on the big side but useable with a 100mm stem. (seat was quite far forward on the rails).
    Now got a Scott CR1 SL in small (52cm) with a 110mm stem and that is spot on.

Actually on the look out for another Team Carbon (or similar) in a small for a "best" winter bike.
    Cheers, Stu