disc brakes

2»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not worth it......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi all
    I am building a Hybrid for myself…….my question is Hydraulic vs Mechanical disc brakes? What are the +/-
    I will be using the bike for mainly commuting / pleasure rides with cafe and cake breaks :D
    Cheers
    I've have used both mechanical (BB7) and Avid Elixr 5 and Shimano Deore, the Deore are best for one finger braking but the BB7's were absolutely fine for road use. Plus, when I fitted them I used my Shimano intergrated brake/changer.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • If you have good cable runs, cable brakes are very little different to hydro for power and feel.
    My commuter is cable and has only had the pads adjusted and the barrel adjusters moved a few times in the time that it has worn out a chain.
    Heavier than a dearer hydro for sure, but that's more a price thing.

The single biggest advantage of a hydro is self adjusting followed closely by no problems with bendy cable runs.
    There are plenty of problems for hydro on commuters and low use bikes such as sticky pistons, water absorption and air in the system making it's way to the calipers when hung up with calipers higher than the lever.

Hydro shine on well used MTB and stand far above cable in every respect.
    But for my commuter, cheap Shimano do sterling duty for nicks.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If the fannies are quite done...

I'd not have discs on a hybrid/commuter if I could avoid it- either hydraulic or cable. Both end up with a relatively delicate caliper eating up road slime. (also, make your bike more desirable to thieves, if that's a consideration) Most of the advantages of discs don't transfer to road use well or at all.

Best option is Vs imo- still give you excellent power and control.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    Well my disc callipers have done 4000miles commuting through all weathers with no issue, also I prefer discs for instant braking response in the wet which on a commuter can really have to be instant unlike on a non commuting in traffic road bike, I can think of several occasions where any slight delay from wet rim brakes would have resulted in a collision.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There's no way to say it without sounding like a cock so I'll just say it cocklike, 4000 miles is ****-all for a road or commuting bike!

Re braking delay, that's not something mine does so I'm not sure what's going on there, I get reduced power in the wet but still immediate, and more than enough- tyre traction's the limiting factor not the brakes.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Braking delay in the wet from the V brakes is the only downside to them in my opinion. I think V brakes are excellent and are definitely the way to go on a road bike. I just take it alot more easy and brake early when riding in the wet.

Northwind, i use a 1.4 full slick tyre, and i can still get the rear wheel in the air under braking easily on a wet surface. I think on the rear tyre you do get a very big limiting factor. I cant go anywhere near full power on the rear brake on the same mentioned tyre, it just locks.
  • The Rookie
    Northwind wrote:
    There's no way to say it without sounding like a fool so I'll just say it cocklike, 4000 miles is ****-all for a road or commuting bike!

Re braking delay, that's not something mine does so I'm not sure what's going on there, I get reduced power in the wet but still immediate, and more than enough- tyre traction's the limiting factor not the brakes.
    Maybe, but that's all I have done, the callipers still work just fine.......
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I've always found disc brake to be better than rim brakes in wet. Think part of it comes to build up of road crap on the rims after a ride or two.
    Experience comes from multiple different rim brakes and a couple of different disc brakes (one hydraulic, one cable.)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • cyd190468 wrote:
    Most of the perceived problems with V-brakes can be solved by cleaning your rims occasionally and using good pads.

To be honest, i find most pads the same. Ive never bought a new set, put them on and felt a really strong braking force in comparison to older pads. If you want a good pad, just look for height and length. Ive never bought expensive pads, but i don't think its necessary. Even if you were to buy a "wet weather" pad it probably makes little to no difference to how good your brakes are in the wet. Your wheel has to turn a certain amount with the brakes on in the wet to get all the water off, then it starts to grip better. I cant see a wet weather pad being any better than standard groove one.

For dry weather pads, i cant see how you can get a real advantage with pads. Ive seen loads of compound bollox with pads but i dont see why you would change the compound. Crap pads in my opinion are pads that have a very thick amount of rubber on them, arent very tall, and arent very long. Ive had a brand new set before, and they squeal like pigs. Its probably down to the fact that they just dont have the stability that longer, wider, and a little bit thinner pads have, and they vibrate alot.

In my opinion, the best way to get the most out of your v brakes is to have them set up correctly. It takes a lot of effort to get them perfect, but once you get it right, boy they are good. Toe, tension, pad distance. Once you get them right, you should have a lever that bites straight away, doesnt feel wooden, and is progressive. And doesnt give you that sort of "nothing then everything" type of feeling, where you cant get the right amount of braking.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You are wrong. Compound and quality make a huge difference. Try something like SwissStop against no name pads and you'll see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools