Debating between a Focus Izalco Team 3.0 SL, Cayo Evo 1.0

distrunnr
distrunnr Posts: 7
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi there.

First post on this board-please go easy on me :-)

I haven't ridden in over twenty years and back then we should have those shifters down low so this is all new to me. I'm a distance runner that just would like to change things up a bit, maybe reduce some pounding on the legs and keep fit and maybe increase my fitness as well.

I have three bikes I am looking at. First was Izalco Team SL with SRAM red (I have never used SRAM and never heard about it until a couple of weeks ago), the other was Cay Evo with Campy chorus and a third was a Giant Propel Advanced 2( it was decked out in Ultegra-nice looking bike!). The Izalco Team seems to be the top of the list in terms of price but they are all within say 600-700 bucks of each other.

It's tough to make a decision, never realized it would be this hard but I was hoping you guys could give some good advice and tips. Pretty much my winter riding will only be on a trainer and I signed up for a couple of spin classes with Triathletes.

Well. Can you help me out?

Comments

• First off, congrats to getting back on a bike!

All three of the mentioned models have different characteristics and uses, they're not just easy on the eye! The Izalco is an all out race bike, the frame is the same one used this season by AG2R and SRAM Red is the lightest groupset available to the market. The Cayo Evo has a slightly more relaxed geometry, which in theory will provide more comfort over a longer distance but sacrifices top end speed. You won't notice the difference unless you're able to max out long enough. The Giant Propel uses aero technology on the frame, handlebars and wheelset at the expense of adding weight. The aero advantage will only work above 20+ mph. An aero frame usually sacrifices comfort as well.

Hope this helps, it's a lot of money to spend on something you haven't done for 20 years.
    Rose X-Lite CRS 3100
    Focus Cayo AL
  • Thanks for the great input, I am finding this decision really hard and now my mind has been clouded by the Giant TCR Advanced O with Ultegra Di2.
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    i own a Cayo Evo 1.0 frameset and it is a lovely ride.
    I do have a carbon seatpost and H Plus Son Archetype wheels that add comfort.
    Also i'm not keen on the wheelset that comes with the 1.0
    The colour is a lot nicer in the flesh and i have Ultegra as i know Shimano

Check the link for pics and spec if you like. viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12949130
    either way, i'm sure you'll love any one of those 3 bikes

Matt
  • matt-h wrote:
    i own a Cayo Evo 1.0 frameset and it is a lovely ride.
    I do have a carbon seatpost and H Plus Son Archetype wheels that add comfort.
    Also i'm not keen on the wheelset that comes with the 1.0
    The colour is a lot nicer in the flesh and i have Ultegra as i know Shimano

Check the link for pics and spec if you like. viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12949130
    either way, i'm sure you'll love any one of those 3 bikes

Matt

Nice bike Matt!!

In the spur of the moment, because I am known for that I ordered the Giant TCR Advanced 0. I have that pitt in my stomach wondering if I made the right choice or not. The Focus would have taken about a week and a half to get and the online store was not the easiest to get on the phone to chat with. The Giant was local and the young guy seems to know so much about bikes-more than I will ever know. It's too bad the one in stock was a medium since I could have gotten a smoken deal on that one. I don't know, have to say the Focus looked like a super nice bike......can you tell I am starting to feel remorse?
  • The Cayo Evo and Izalco are all but identical in geometry (in most sizes, they actually ARE identical) and their is no appreciable difference between them in this respect. However, they do ride with slightly different characteristics, with the Izalco being slightly stiffer with more of a 'direct' feel. Lots of pros use / have used the Cayo Evo frame too. I have a Cayo Evo and love it to bits.
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    i'm sure once you get the Giant in your possession you will have completely forgotten about the focus.
    I dont think that there is much between bikes in that price range.

Dont forget to put pics up!

Matt