Cheap tights or an alternative?

kirby700
kirby700 Posts: 458
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
My bloody knees kill in this weather and so its too cold for shorts.

Currently use Karrimor cycling tights and baggies over the top but there pretty dire.

Really don't want to spend loads to be fair!

Any ideas?
GIANT XTC 2.5
BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Aldi just got some new Crane ones in yesterday. £19.99 for the fleece lined tights (with coolmax pad and windstopper front down to below knees) or £29.99 for the bib version (with foot loops, rather than the ankle zips). Sports direct have some good Nevica thermal tights for about £12 (unpadded, but you can wear them over your usual padded undershorts).
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    By the time I got to my local Aldi yesterday just after work, one pair of bib tights in a size small was all there was to show they'd ever been there!
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Batmo wrote:
    By the time I got to my local Aldi yesterday just after work, one pair of bib tights in a size small was all there was to show they'd ever been there!

Went in my branch today (about 5.30pm) and they had all sizes in the tights - stacked about 4 feet high, loads of 'em, with a few pairs of the bib version (couple of each size).
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    I sometimes use a pair of these, relatively warm and not skin tight - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ronhill-Classic ... B001DCMKCK
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You probably want some sort of fleece lined thermal tights. I now get the same problem with cold knees and after wearing madison shield thermo tights had no further problems even in very cold mist. The reason I bought them is I am over 6ft6 and they are long enough for me. Downside is they are not cheap. If you are shorter you will have more options.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have Altura Ergofit Windproof bib tights they are windproof at the knees, not cheap though around £35 without a pad insert or about £60+ with a pad.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't use tights, just knee warmers under baggies (can be had for circa £13 up), that way the dirtiest part of me (shins) just need showering off and not a spell in the washing machine. Besides on my local trails I can't see tights lasting long through the brambles.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I have a set of Decathlon's bit tights and they are fine and were pretty cheap too.
  • just bought some santini knee warmers from Prendas for £5 ! they are long, warm and £5 !!

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=3231
  • I'd second Aldi. I got some of the bib tights the other day and they seem to fit OK though I've not worn them out yet. Planet X/On One also have some decent looking offers though I can't vouch for how good they are. I got some leg warmers from them though that work well with baggies