Gutted! Crashed my new bike

matt-h
matt-h Posts: 847
edited November 2013 in Road general
Went out for a 25 mile loop today and hit the deck about 8 miles in on a roundabout.
Gutted as my bike is 65 miles new!
Low sided and have a nice bit of gravel rash on my thigh, torn Roubaix tights, gouged 6800 rear mech, Lever and tape.
It would appear to be diesel based on the state of the shoulder of my jacket.

Is it getting to slippery out there or bad luck?

Matt

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    :(

It is slippy out there
  • Bit of both. Sad news about the off, hope there isn't too much damage.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Motorcyclists learn the "avoid oil line" sometimes known curb, curb, curb. Its possible on a cycle when the roundabout is empty, it basically places you on the path least likely to be where the slops are and most likely to upright when you go through them.

Wont help if you hit a decent amount though.
  • I did the same at entrance to a farm a couple of weeks ago. Hit diesel and back end went. Fortunately not too much harm done. Gravel rash, and bar tape ripped off.
    Glad ur okay.
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    Sorry for the off, nothing worse than when something is new enough to still be enjoying the newness.

And I also apologise for my darker side doing this.
    Nelson.jpg
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Sometimes it just happens. The perils of two wheels; you're inherently unstable. Be thankful you haven't any worse injuries; I hit a patch of diesel in March under braking and ended up off the bike for a month.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Sounds like bad luck, but it is surely time to look at tyres with a big section, that can take 80 PSI... also grippy tyres... something like Vittoria Pave' 27 mm ticks most boxes.
    That said, no tyre will grip on diesel
    left the forum March 2023
  • Sounds like bad luck, but it is surely time to look at tyres with a big section, that can take 80 PSI... also grippy tyres... something like Vittoria Pave' 27 mm ticks most boxes.
    That said, no tyre will grip on diesel

Indeed. I had an off in Richmond Park on diesel on my Ducati several years ago.

So if a 190mm tyre can't grip on diesel, I doubt a 27mm one will.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It's always on the right hand side too. I went down about six weeks ago after upgrading the bike before it's winter hibernation. I could have cried, right shifter, rear mech, mech hanger and bar tape all damaged.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,928
    no tyre will grip on diesel
    And the black film that you get from road salt/grit build-up is pretty slippery too ... only marginally less so than the ice it prevents.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    matt-h wrote:
    Is it getting to slippery out there or bad luck?Matt

You created some of your own bad luck too, if you were leaning enough to slide it you were probably going a little quick and during this time of year there are 1001 things that can fetch you off like that.

You have to ride more conservatively in less than ideal conditions.
    Yellow is the new Black.