29er mud/slippery clay tyre?

Ulysses
Ulysses Posts: 104
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Nearly ended up in a ditch this afternoon as the bike was all ove rthe place in the mud - front out, back out. Currently on Continental X-King 2.2 RaceSport, not so racey when the going gets slippy!

Comments

• Yes plenty Mud x, storm, beaver and so on. Mud x in 26inch form is good with out being bad else where.

So that's what I'm going to put on my new 29er
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    The X-King really doesn't work this time of year. I'v got Maxxis Ignitors on for the winter but to be honest any tyre with more tread is going to be an improvement over the X-King
  • Ulysses
    Ulysses Posts: 104
    They have ben great so far, but Friday afternoon was my first time out in clay and mud and it wasnt good. Same again today, riding on tarmac and hard trail is amazing ... soon as I got into the slippy clay shite the bike was everywhere. Spent ages riding in the tracks of 4x4's today and every time my front wheel touched the edge I could feel it going, then when I tried to hop out if there was some grass the back end would go .... ended up laying down in a grass bank ... followed by lots of swearing lol. Found a few nice fast hills, a good half of each was soft squelchy mud ... pretty much hold on and hope!

Looking at getting Maxxis Minion DHF and a DHR II 2.3's.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    The Minion is the other end of the tyre range from the X-King. I run the minions on my bigger bike (160mm full sus) but would be overkill on my 29ER.

Really depends on the type of riding you do as to what tyre you need. Have a look at the mountain king 2 , I have run this tyre on the front and not had any grip issues but still rolls well.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    You don't want a Minion DHF downhill on a 29er. It weighs 1.25 kg !

In a recent WMB all-round trail tyre test the winner was the Continental Mountain King II, black chilli Protection. 2.2 on the rear and 2.4 on the front for a 29er.

Second came Hans Dampf Snakeskin Evo Trailstar for the front and Pacestar compound for the rear .Great grip, large volume tyre but higher rolling resistance.