Winter socks

dubbs2009
dubbs2009 Posts: 310
edited December 2013 in Road general
OK, so its gonna be 1/2 degrees on my ride tomorrow morning and I am one that suffers with cold toes... Looking for suggestions from y'all about the best thermal/cosy/merino wool socks out there to keep my feet warm when cycling in the winter.

I have lined by shoes with tin foil for the first time and will see how that goes tomorrow - but think even with 2 pairs of socks on then I will still be cold.

What's the general consensus on the best socks out there to keep ones feet warm when riding out in the winter?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• I just wear a decent pair of overshoes.....i couldnt get 2 pairs of socks on in my shoes...even thin ones!
  • Avit5
    Avit5 Posts: 114
  • dubbs2009 wrote:
    Any suggestions?

If this is the extent of your winter cycling preparation I wouldn't go out.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dubbs2009 wrote:
    Any suggestions?

If this is the extent of your winter cycling preparation I wouldn't go out.

lol - dont worry mate - I am prepared - just always had a problem with cold feet so interested to hear others thoughts on what socks they wear when riding in very cold
  • I just wear a decent pair of overshoes.....i couldnt get 2 pairs of socks on in my shoes...even thin ones!

I have neoprene overshoes, but even with 2 pairs of socks - I still get cold feet!
  • Avit5 wrote:

Cheers - will take a look!
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    I just wear a decent pair of overshoes.....i couldnt get 2 pairs of socks on in my shoes...even thin ones!

I have neoprene overshoes, but even with 2 pairs of socks - I still get cold feet!
    Try wrapping the front of your shoes in silver foil before putting your overshoes on
  • ju5t1n wrote:
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    I just wear a decent pair of overshoes.....i couldnt get 2 pairs of socks on in my shoes...even thin ones!

Try wrapping the front of your shoes in silver foil before putting your overshoes on

Interesting idea! I will give that a go tomorrow along with the foil inside the shoe - fingers crossed it works!
  • Pair of old thick socks over the top of your shoes with holes cut for cleats, then neoprene over shoes over that... Saves squashing you feet into shoes with fat socks as this causes bad circulation and cold toes.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    last years winter prep for me was a bit of duct tape over the hole on the front of the shoe. Then on a lovely day in spring I felt the need to tear it off and my summer began.
  • I really like overshoes because they are also water proof. Works a treat for me, and it is a solution that is still simple to dry and relatively easy.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    Avit5 wrote:

Cheers - will take a look!

Woolie boolies are quite thick.. very thick in fact.. so you might stretch your shoes wearing them.

I like the endura baa merino socks - not too thick but still pretty warm - pair these with some decent overshoes (eg. Endura road overshoes) and you should be good to go.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Make sure the rest of you is warm. wool socks and overshoes or winter shoes. Make sure your feet are not too tight in your shoes.
  • I saw a video on CGN where Matt Stephens suggests putting tin foil over your toes inside your shoes. No idea if it works but the theory is sound enough.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I saw a video on CGN where Matt Stephens suggests putting tin foil over your toes inside your shoes. No idea if it works but the theory is sound enough.

I think the main effect would be as an extra wind-stopping layer to be honest?
  • I saw a video on CGN where Matt Stephens suggests putting tin foil over your toes inside your shoes. No idea if it works but the theory is sound enough.

I think the main effect would be as an extra wind-stopping layer to be honest?

I lined the soles of the shoes with tin foil today and it defo made a difference. I think if I wrapped my toes in it as well then I think it would have been a perfect solution. It's only the toes that get cold - the rest is fine...

Thanks for the tips guys :)
  • Pair of old thick socks over the top of your shoes with holes cut for cleats, then neoprene over shoes over that... Saves squashing you feet into shoes with fat socks as this causes bad circulation and cold toes.
    Woolie boolies are quite thick.. very thick in fact.. so you might stretch your shoes wearing them.

Wore Woolie Boolies for the first time today under overshoes. Shoes felt a bit tight, and my toes felt a bit cold. :x
  • Wore Woolie Boolies for the first time today under overshoes. Shoes felt a bit tight, and my toes felt a bit cold. :x

Oh dear.... Tin foil trick might work better!
  • Or maybe I should buy a bigger pair of shoes. Them Woolies cost me a tenner!
  • I was going to get some wooolies myself, not so sure now. :(
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Luckily I have room in my shoes for Woolie Boolies without compromising circulation, and combined with some cheapo Planet X neoprene overshoes my feet stay warm down to minus several :D
  • keef66 wrote:
    Luckily I have room in my shoes for Woolie Boolies without compromising circulation, and combined with some cheapo Planet X neoprene overshoes my feet stay warm down to minus several :D

I think I will invest in a pair - my shoes has some wriggle room so should work well I do hope!
  • Woolies seem to work well with tin foil underneath and booties on top... feet were not exactly roasting... but were not numb either... although temp was about 6 degrees on last ride... getting down to 0 degrees I will report back...
  • Have bought a pair of overshoes this year and tried them for the first time this weekend. I dont tend to get cold so neoprone overshoes with my normal summer riding socks and my feet were more than warm enough.

Im thinking some overshoes with some Woolie Boolie socks would keep even the coldest feet warm
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Tjgoodhew wrote:
    Have bought a pair of overshoes this year and tried them for the first time this weekend. I dont tend to get cold so neoprone overshoes with my normal summer riding socks and my feet were more than warm enough.

Im thinking some overshoes with some Woolie Boolie socks would keep even the coldest feet warm

You'd think so eh.... lol - Woolie Boolie + thin thermal socks, + tin foil, shoes and neuprone overshoes and at 0-4 degrees myn are still cold to numb! bad circulation methinks...
  • Tjgoodhew wrote:
    Have bought a pair of overshoes this year and tried them for the first time this weekend. I dont tend to get cold so neoprone overshoes with my normal summer riding socks and my feet were more than warm enough.

You'd be wrong then, as you don't suffer from it, and think yourself lucky. My hands and feet can get very, very cold in winter, to the point of serious misery and pain if it's really cold, and especially if wet too. No-one who has "normal" feet/circulation can begin to understand how bad it can get.

If it's around or below zero, I could ride in ski gloves, with a thin liner glove too, with wiggle space for fingers and still end up with numb fingers. Feet can get even worse - coming home with white, blue or black toes :( .

For my feet I use the heated stick-on sachets (Little Hotties toe warmers from http://www.costco.co.uk) on the outside of thin socks, then a 2nd pair over that, then shoes and overshoes (or Goretex boots). That usually works, but my new heated insoles arrive tomorrow and they should be even better :D !

For hands, having suffered for the last few years, I've just splashed out on heated liner gloves (Blazewear), which have trace heating around all fingers. Worn under an outer windproof/waterproof glove they really make a huge difference, and seem to last 2 to 4 hours from my use so far. Or, you can leave them off until hands get cold then switch them on full blast to thaw out, let them heat up then turn them down to low for a while.
  • I've discovered the best way to warm tootsies is to buy a pair of windproof overshoes which are generally very thin and close fitting. They don't cost much.

Wear these under any old pair of neoprene overshoes, and (coupled with a half decent pair of socks), you won't suffer cold feet. Overshoes are overshoes and are just neoprene in various thicknesses. My cheap as chips Planet X ones have lasted me years and cost peanuts.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    +1 for Endura baabaa socks. I also use a Castelli Toe Thingy (yes, that's the actual product name) - which is a neoprene toe cover - under a Castelli waterproof shoe cover. I find the full neoprene shoe covers fall to bits really quickly, and I only really need the extra warmth around the toes.
  • I've recently converted from woolie boolie to Rapha deep winter sock, both highly recommended.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles