Full sus or hardtail - trail riding

L3BIUS
L3BIUS Posts: 91
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys!

I'm going to be buying a bike in the next couple of weeks but am unsure as to what to go for.

I'm looking to buy second hand, not new as I will probably get a bit more for my money in my price range (£350-500)

I primarily want to ride trails around the UK such as connock chase, gisburn forest, cragg and Lee quarry ect..

My question is, do o go hardtail, or full suspension. My previous bike was a GT aggressor (frame at least, it was built completely from the frame up, check my signature to see it. Im very tempted for one of these again but wondered if anyone can offer any advise on full sus bikes in that price range and why I should get one over an aggressor.

Cheers!
P
The New Beast GT Aggressor 2013 project

The Old Beast GT Aggressor Hardtail 2011 Custom Spec

Places i want to visit:
Gisburn Forest, Afan Forest, Holmbury Hill, Forest of Dean, Antur Stiniog, Fort William, Tweed Valley, Cwmcarn

Comments

• Just bought my first FS a few weeks ago after 3 years on a HT. I find the FS is way better for trail riding, but with a budget of £500 I think you'd get a better bike overall with a HT, unless you happened to come across a real bargain FS.
  • L3BIUS
    Any FS models I can look out for? Cheers for the advice!

Places i want to visit:
    Gisburn Forest, Afan Forest, Holmbury Hill, Forest of Dean, Antur Stiniog, Fort William, Tweed Valley, Cwmcarn
  • Not sure for that money, have a look in the classifieds bikes for sale section on here though. I think you may need closer to £1k for a decent FS though, at a minimum.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • L3BIUS
    Cheers man I'll check those out!

Places i want to visit:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If your looking to buy used, then there is quite good choice of decent FS as you push towards the £500 mark, a Boardman FS to one of the higher specs at about 2 years old and light use will be about that and give you a decent bike, that or look out for a slightly older Trance.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You can get a Specialized FSR XC or an older Giant Trance for around £500 both are perfectly reasonable.
    Also worth looking at GT i-drive they can be cheap but mostly because they were unpopular.
    Once you get up around £800 the choice vastly improves if you can wait and save a bit more.
  • I know I'm new and can't really offer much of an opinion but I just bought a Boardman Team 2013 for £520 new from Halfords, I know a lot of people don't either like Halfords or Boardman but I thought it was a nice bike and a decent spec I could have also got a Comp for £467 both HT's but it depends what you want.

I wanted FS but just couldn't afford it, they had a Pro FS in for £810 and with the 20% discounts worked out not too bad but I felt it loose! I've ridden a FS Cube and loved the lockout which the Boardman never had so felt it quite loose so I decided to have the HT and save then get a FS later hope I don't upset anyone with my opinions
    2013 Boardman Team