How much would you pay & would you?

2»

Comments

• Oh ok thanks for the reply. Hadn't crossed my mind actually, i'll take a look tomorrow to ensure the spacers aren't sitting above the column
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    It's more about how high your stem can be clamped above the headset top cap (top of headtube), especially on a carbon steerer, as the higher your stem is, the more forces act on the steerer and could cause it to snap.

I think it's usually 40mm max in spacers below the stem, but have a google for that specific fork (Oval Designs is it?) and see what they say.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I'd agree that the position looks a little high at the front end (perhaps an RS would have suited you better?) but *if* the bike's been built properly, there should be a metal strengthening piece epoxied into the carbon steerer on an R3. This reduces the risk of the steerer cracking.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    964Cup wrote:
    I'd agree that the position looks a little high at the front end (perhaps an RS would have suited you better?) but *if* the bike's been built properly, there should be a metal strengthening piece epoxied into the carbon steerer on an R3. This reduces the risk of the steerer cracking.
    The RS in that size uses 650c wheels which a lot of people don't like -- limits your tire and wheel choices, etc. It's a great bike though (I have one).

Also, you only need the metal sleeve epoxied into the steerer if you want to use a star-fangled nut. A lot of bike shops will just use an expander bung instead, which does the same thing but also gives the advantage of letting you trim the steerer at a later date if you want.