R872 vs RT58 vs Ghost Race Lector

kingofthetailwind
kingofthetailwind Posts: 575
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
It's time to decide on my long awaited n+1, so I'm looking opinions of the following. My criteria are: carbon, 105 or Ultegra, internal cabling, decent wheels. So the shortlist is:

2013 Ghost Race Lector 7000 from Chain Reaction. £1150. Pros: Good geometry, I've sat on it, can pick it up tomorrow. Cons: Easton 700C wheels, I'd probably upgrade to something costing £250 or so - Ultegras most likely.

Ribble R872 built with 105 and Ultegras. Around £1400. Pros: I can customise everything, looks better than the Ghost. Cons: Geometry - 145mm head tube in my size. Racier than I want but could probably make it work with a full spacer stack.

Planet X RT58. £1500. Pros: Looks better than the R872, it's Ultegra, decent wheels (RS61), slightly more relaxed geometry than the R872. Cons: Most expensive.

Cannondale Synape 105. £1249 from Drakes. Pros: Great frame, good geometry. Cons: Externally cabled. Poor wheels.

Thoughts? Anything else I'm missing? I also really like the Canyon Ultimate CF SL 7.0 but at £1400 with Aksiums it would work out the most expensive after I upgrade the wheels.

Comments

• Gunnsie
    Gunnsie Posts: 171
    With regard to the ones with poor wheels, couldn't you buy the bike, buy a better set of wheels, then sell the poor set on FleaBay to recuperate some dosh?

What about the CAAD10 with Ultegra? http://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b0s6p41 ... mpact_2013
  • Yeah that's what I'll do, but if I can avoid it I will.

I know there's some great aluminium frames at this price but if I was going for Cannondale it would probably be the Synapse.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    £100 difference between Ribble and PX is not worth worrying about if it gets the bike that looks better and is a better spec and frame geometry (head tube length) IMO. :)
  • Yeah you're right, the RT58 is definitely my favourite at the minute.

But I called into my LBS on the way home for some bar tape, only to find out I get 20% club membership off bikes there.

So a Defy or TCR Composite 1 is on the table now too! £1600 reduced to £1280 with the discount. Can't find much detail on the Giant P-Elite C Wheelset though. :?