Is this normal..

Twelly
Twelly Posts: 1,437
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Had a bit of an organising session this evening and it turns out I have accumulated a couple of spare parts over the years...
P1070001_zps9fa828b2.jpg

Add that to two complete bikes, 3 wheelsets, about 20 tyres, 4 frames and 3 forks in the shed and I'm starting to think I have a problem..

Someone show me a more ridiculous spares bin to make me feel better.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Times that by 10, and that's what I have. ;)
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Got a set of 120mm Rebas you don't want in there, lol? :wink:
  • Twelly
    Haha no sorry, I have 100mm for sale but the longer they don't sell the more I am convincing myself to keep them...
  • Kowalski675
    I'm wanting 120mm really anyway.
  • I have a bunch of spares like that, roughly the same amount. The only thing is, 90% of it is all incredibly shit.
  • Kowalski675
    I'm the same, but it's motorbike bits. Three spare Bandit frames takes up loads of space...
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    what forks and wheelsets do you have spare? :wink:

I have a collection like in the pic, no forks or wheels though, but for some reason I do have 3 road bike wheels in my shed and I don't own a road bike :lol:
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    TwellySmat wrote:
    I have 100mm for sale...
    Rebas you say? In the classifieds?
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I'd build that lot into (some kind of) a bike.
  • Twelly
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    TwellySmat wrote:
    I have 100mm for sale...

Yep '2 FS frames, 2 HT frames and 3 forks' or something. Please dont offer me what I'm asking for them though because im really warming to the idea of a light singlespeed hardtail using them! I will leave them up until end of the weekend but if they havent gone im keeping them.
  • Twelly
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I'd build that lot into (some kind of) a bike.

Dont talk silly
  • Twelly
    welshkev wrote:
    what forks and wheelsets do you have spare? :wink:

I have a collection like in the pic, no forks or wheels though, but for some reason I do have 3 road bike wheels in my shed and I don't own a road bike :lol:

A cheap generic disc set which I am keeping as a spare should the worst happen to my nice ones! And a Singletrack DH set which I am trying to shift.. 20mm fronr, QR rear, wide rim with 180mm discs and a 9 speed cassette if you're interested ;)

Forks are all in the classifieds though one has since sold and the other I really dont want to sell ha so I only have a 150mm Zocchi Drop Off IV available
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    supersonic wrote:

+1

Even after knocking together three whole bikes from the spares i had lying around i've still got a Merida carbon fibre frame, a mint condition Specialized rockhopper SL frame lying around, about six or seven suspension forks, some rigid forks, god knows how many handle bars, seatposts, crank arms etc laying about. Got boxes filling up one side of my kitchen wall with spare stuff. Including entire storage boxes dedicated to specific items (like a box full of nothing but Specialized stems). You know it's bad when you start sorting it, labeling it and buying boxes for it. I'm running out of places to keep wheels, for gods sake. Can barely make it to the sink without knocking over bikes or bumping into boxes.

I need help.
  • Ouija, sounds like alot of money waiting to be made. From the pictures ive seen before, you already have an awesome collection of bikes. Sell the stuff! :lol:
  • Twelly
    Ouija wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

+1

Even after knocking together three whole bikes from the spares i had lying around i've still got a Merida carbon fibre frame, a mint condition Specialized rockhopper SL frame lying around, about six or seven suspension forks, some rigid forks, god knows how many handle bars, seatposts, crank arms etc laying about. Got boxes filling up one side of my kitchen wall with spare stuff. Including entire storage boxes dedicated to specific items (like a box full of nothing but Specialized stems). You know it's bad when you start sorting it, labeling it and buying boxes for it. I'm running out of places to keep wheels, for gods sake. Can barely make it to the sink without knocking over bikes or bumping into boxes.

I need help.

We should start a support group
  • Kowalski675
    Ouija wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    about six or seven suspension forks

Anything in 120mm, 1 1/8", 9mm flavour?
  • Ouija
    Ouija wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    about six or seven suspension forks

Anything in 120mm, 1 1/8", 9mm flavour?

Unfortunately not. The last 120mm i had (an Epicon) got put on one of the three bikes i knocked together from spare parts. Still have a 100mm Axon and just took the 100mm Epicon of my carbon mountain bike (it's not seeing any off road action since i built up the 120mm alu mountain bike so i've slapped some white Exotic rigid forks on it). Unfortunately, the axon can be dismantled but can't be changed to 120mm. The 100mm Epicon probably can but i've never been able to get one of the screws off the lowers to take it apart and find out.
  • Kowalski675
    If it's the same as current Epicons you can convert them from 80 to 140mm (in 20mm increments) internally by drifting out a pin then knocking it back into a different position. Simple process, but apparently it's a bit of a git to get in and out.
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    Wheelsets you say? Anything cheap-ish QR stuff?
  • Ouija
    If it's the same as current Epicons you can convert them from 80 to 140mm (in 20mm increments) internally by drifting out a pin then knocking it back into a different position. Simple process, but apparently it's a bit of a git to get in and out.

I know, that's part of the reason i bought that particular model (2011, i think). It's the only Epicon i can't get the lowers off to do the mod though.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    TwellySmat wrote:
    I have 100mm for sale...

Yep '2 FS frames, 2 HT frames and 3 forks' or something. Please dont offer me what I'm asking for them though because im really warming to the idea of a light singlespeed hardtail using them! I will leave them up until end of the weekend but if they havent gone im keeping them.

Your decision, of course, but I've sent you a pm on the Rebas
  • Kowalski675
    Ouija wrote:

I know, that's part of the reason i bought that particular model (2011, i think). It's the only Epicon i can't get the lowers off to do the mod though.

Is the bolt seized? How do you rate the Epicon? I fancy a Reba, but can get a new Epicon for £135. Bouncing on the two side by side in my LBS (on the new Anthem and Trance) the Reba does feel a bit plusher, but the Epicon feels as good as my Sektor TK on my Boardman, just judging by that rather inexhaustive test.