Bonty XR4 and Mavic XM719 tubeless

rapid_donkey
rapid_donkey Posts: 448
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Decided Im going to give this tubeless thing a go this winter.
Ive got Mavic XM719 wheels, got some new Bonty XR4 team issue tubeless ready tyres.
Do i just need the stans no tubes kit and im good to go? Ive got a track pump.
I weigh 77kg and run my tyres around 40psi. If I go tubeless and run around 30psi for extea grip, am I going to notice alot of extra rolling resistance?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Less, not more rolling resistance.
  • Forgive me if im wrong, but a lower tyre pressure will result in a larger contact patch, more flexing of sidewalls, and therefore increased rolling resistance compared to the higher pressure, surely?
  • Same tyre on mavic 519 , used stans rubber rimstrip over existing rimstrip , went on easily with washing up liquid and track pump . Run 30 psi both ends . Tyres had run with tubes for a while which may have helped .

The rolling resistance / pressure thing is misleading as lower pressures can lead to lower resistance . ( google it ) .
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Forgive me if im wrong, but a lower tyre pressure will result in a larger contact patch, more flexing of sidewalls, and therefore increased rolling resistance compared to the higher pressure, surely?
    No, rolling resistance and tyre pressure is a relationship that is altered by the stiffness of the tyre sidewall, a more flexible tyre sidewall (like you get with tubeless due to no inner tube) makes the effect of low tyre impact less negatively on rolling resistance.

For a given tyre pressure, a tyre will have a lower rolling resistance if it is tubeless versus the same tyre and same pressure with a tube.

In other words, the flexier the sidewall the lower the rolling resistance.