Cycling in the Alps

brazilianhipster
brazilianhipster Posts: 56
edited December 2013 in Tour & expedition
To have a change from the flattish Warwickshire terrain, I often dream of going over to France and cycle around the Alps for a week or so. Which routes and climbs would you recommend?
Can anyone recommend a decent guided tour operator who I could go with?

Thanks in advance for your advice and / or suggestions.

Steve

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Lots of similar threads on here, worth searching for them.

Le Grand Bornand is always my suggestion, great place and loads of climbs close by.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Hi

Tour du Monte Blanc, over a week?
    See link

http://www.chamonix.net/english/summer- ... mont-blanc
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I had a fantastic week in Bourg d'Oisans in May this year. Access to plenty of famous climbs such as Glandon, Croix de Fer, Lauteret, Galibier etc. Not forgetting Alpe d'Huez right on your doorstep.

I hired a bike from Prompt CC in Bourg d'Oisans. I believe they do guided tours as well but can't really comment on that as I only used them for hire but certainly had no problems with them.

Do it, you won't regret it. :)
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Check out Alpcycles. Cracking little company based near Courchevel. Great client to guide ratio, nice chalet and some of the best alpine riding you will find.
  • Morzine would be a good bet for a weeks cycling. Only an hour from Geneva, lovely town and plenty of cycling. Some of the biggies are:

Col de Joux plan( Lance Armstrong bonked here),
    Climb to Avoriaz
    Col de Ramaz
    Col de Colombier

plus lots of others. www.valleedaulps.com/documents/guidevelo.pdf is a good guide to the area.

Www.ridersrefugue.co.uk although I don't think they do guiding are great guys to stay with. They pick you up from the airport as part of the deal of staying with them. We have used for a weekend (Morzine sportive) and also for a week with the family. Great people and very helpful.