Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks.....

Grisley Paul
Grisley Paul Posts: 186
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Morning Guys,

After a bit of advice as to whether or not its worth upgrading an old Proflex Beast.

I'm just get back into cycling for health reasons and have the Proflex from years of old to use but naturally it's starting to show its age. Not that I need anything too extreme but I have been mulling over taking the plunge into a new bike, however with another little one due to arrive in April other things take priority.

The Proflex is in great nick having been recently powder coating and has the usual XT drivtrain etc disc up front, v brake rear, good strong Atomlabs rims and a good sturdy (but old and not very plush) Marz Bomber 100mm fork.

I had thought investing in a decent set of forks might be worthwhile, however being out of it for a while, notice all the modern worthwhile forks have 15mm through axles as opposed to the older QR skewers ?

Therefore I'm assuming a fork change would also require a wheel change ? assuming the current hubs cannot take a 15mm axle (they are XT hubs, can't remember the exact model)...

Basically, am I barking up the wrong tree trying to upgrade such an old bike or for the spend would it achieve good results, compared to spending out on a newer machine ?

Cheers
Paul

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There are still plenty or QR forks around. Your hubs can't be modified.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I've got an 856 that I've owned from new and it has been along the upgrade trail and back again. There was a point early on where the upgrades made sense and at least kept it in touch with more modern bikes but realistically there's only so much you can do by bolting stuff on. Fitting better components only serves to throw into sharp focus how ancient the rest of it is and affects the whole balance of the machine. The natural conclusion is to end up with a collection of expensive but ultimately worthless components on a clothes horse of a frame that belongs to a different era.

Drivetrain components can be a worthwhile upgrade but quality components in keeping with a bike like the Proflex are becoming very hard to find. My advice would be to fit parts that are functionally equivalent to the original bits and keep it as a gentle reminder of how good modern bikes are.

p1010552.jpg
  • Cheers guys...

So basically, get something new lol :mrgreen: