The metrosexual facecream thread....

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
edited November 2013 in Road general
When I come back from a long ride, my face looks like that health and safety video at the blast furnace I worked at when I was at uni. To say it's red is somewhat of an understatement. In order to avoid the 'farmer' look, I'm keen to slap something manly on my face before I go out. If I can pretend it helps reduce drag, all the better. Anyone use anything?

If not, then I think there is a gap in the market!
Insert bike here:

Comments

• I use chamois cream as moisturiser and after shave. Both Assos and Rapha ones work very well
    left the forum March 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    edited November 2013
    Big Fan of the BIOTHERME Homme range stuff, can only afford it rarely though...not sure there is a way of making it manly either

With Sportique - http://sportiquebodycare.com/ - you can at least pretend it's cycling related though, Rapha do some stuff too...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,428
    I use Oil of Olay anti wrinkle cream that I nicked from the mother in law (it's too late for her now) But I'm not sure how good it is in the wind though.

Good thread. I await in manly anticipation for some top tips :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Sort of depends on the cause. My face used to fall off after a real cold ride, that Norwegian moisturiser malarkey helped. Dehydration? Drink more. Too much claret at lunch? Drink less.. I now only get it on cheek bones thanks to judicious use of hat, glasses and full beard. If you must, the latter can be poorly substituted with a Buff
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • mpatts
    I'm basically looking for a barrier cream I think. Essentially, something I can say "Yeah, when I get over 30mph average, I really need something to stop the windburn".
    Insert bike here:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    The sportique elements cream is good for that but it's a bit wierd, feels like your smearing your waterproof reproofer over your face
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Simple for me (sensitive skin type), but that is just after the post ride shower....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Surely Rule 5 applies here.
    I would suggest Goose Fat is allowable, if something is absolutely required.
    ( all those cross channel swimmers can't be wrong )
  • mpatts
    Surely Rule 5 applies here.

Excellent input - My new cream is called "Chapeu Number 5" - it's made from am mix of EPO, and the fat rendered from the bodies of ex pro tour cyclists. The Riis blend is particularly effective.
    Insert bike here:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Surely Rule 5 applies here.

Goosefat? How girly! Cow dung or nothing!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Softies! I use the Desperate Dan recipe - stale porridge with a filling of rusty nails! Hmmph!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Wimps the lot of you - sandpaper your face well with a course grit every morning. I guarantee you will not have a problem with your face turning red after a ride.
  • You should try Body Shop Face Protector. Strangely enough, it is made for this sort of thing. :)
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    mpatts wrote:
    When I come back from a long ride, my face looks like that health and safety video at the blast furnace I worked at when I was at uni. To say it's red is somewhat of an understatement. In order to avoid the 'farmer' look, I'm keen to slap something manly on my face before I go out. If I can pretend it helps reduce drag, all the better. Anyone use anything?

If not, then I think there is a gap in the market!

Try looking for 'wind cream', 'weather cream', 'barrier cream' etc. - I've never used any so can't recommend - Vaseline is also supposed to do the trick.
  • mabbo
    mabbo Posts: 117
    Try a full face motorcycling helmet. Shouldn't make you sweat too much as long as you maintain a steady 30mph.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Vaseline's got to be the way forward here - cheap and simple solution.
  • Boots Botanics facial mosturiser. SPF15, reasonably heavy moisturuser (helps a lot with wind burn) but I don't find it greasy and unlike most 'mens' products it doesn't smell of soap (big plus). Started using it when I stopped using an electric shaver.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Why not just wear a buff or something similar if you want to protect your skin?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I find that I have to moisturise when it starts getting really cold with the daily commute. If I don't my skin gets very dry and red. Usually the soft tissue under my eyes and at the temple. Anything will do, but just do it regular after each ride.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    ddraver wrote:
    The sportique elements cream is good for that but it's a bit wierd, feels like your smearing your waterproof reproofer over your face

Because you have tried that of course :-)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I steal what ever looks expensive from Mrs C's stash. Currently it's either Oil of Olay (got to beat the seven signs of aging !) or some Boots No.7 face stuff.

Both seem good, but they can't be that good as they've not got the wrinkles off my nuts !!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The cheaper the better - Boots double base cream is good for just about everything. (apart from boots, funnily enough)
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    edited November 2013
    .....Jesus Christ...... Rapha Face cream :roll: .... they could label a turd up for a £100 and some cyclist would buy it.

Slap some cheaper (and better) Neutrogena Norweian Formula stuff in in the cold blasts.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    ddraver wrote:
    Big Fan of the BIOTHERME Homme range stuff, can only afford it rarely though...not sure there is a way of making it manly either

With Sportique - http://sportiquebodycare.com/ - you can at least pretend it's cycling related though, Rapha do some stuff too...

Late to the party for me but biotherme aqua power is fantastic!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Boots Essentials moisturising cream. I prefer the cucumber flavour. It is sometimes on special offer for 30p/tub so buy a lifetime supply.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @mpatts... On a back dated medical certificate?

I use dove moisturiser... It really enhances my beauty
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    Nivea, in the blue tub, works great and is in manly(ish) packaging.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    So we've merged with Mumsnet haven't we? It was bound to happen at some point. Where's my beaker gone?.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Grow some designer stubble and get tantastic like me, no issues, just use Hawaiian tropic after sun as per my normal daily moisturiser.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Some matte powder to take away the redness on the nose, a touch of blusher to accentuate those cheek bones, eyeshadow and mascara and ready to ride...