£20-£60 trail helmets

Cqc
Cqc Posts: 951
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi looking to buy a new helmet as mine is like 15 years old and feeling a bit sad. I have between 20 and 60 to spend and I mainly ride trail/ all mountain and a bit of enduro. Is the Raleigh extreme III any good? What do you guys rate?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The best helmet is the one that fits you the best. I'd visit a shop and try some on.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Can't go far wrong with a Giro Feature, if it fits your head.
  • Cqc
    Apparently it gets hot though? Do you notice?
  • Kowalski675
    Cqc wrote:
    Apparently it gets hot though? Do you notice?

Can't say I've noticed.
  • Ulysses
    Ulysses Posts: 104
    Bought one of these last week (grey/blue), has good reviews:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661-recon-wired-helmet-2013/rp-prod72437

Comfortable enough ... hope I dont have to test it out for crash worthyness.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Ulysses wrote:
    Bought one of these last week (grey/blue), has good reviews:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661-recon-wired-helmet-2013/rp-prod72437

Comfortable enough ... hope I dont have to test it out for crash worthyness.

brother in law has one - trust me they work :lol:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have a look at Giro Feature you can get them for £40-50. The shell and retention system is pretty good quality although the interior and the straps reflect the bargain price. The cradle has a wide range of adjustment and it can be moved up and down but be careful that the helmet fits rather than the retention system you need to have as much of the shell in contact with your head as possible. The ventilation is limited and on a hot day it won't do you any favours but the rest of the year it's adequate and when the temperatures drop to single figures it's quite cosy.

They're fairly oval-shaped and the sizing is generous. The tape measure says my head is 62cm and the L is massive the cradle is not maxed out and there's room for a buff underneath. The M is more of a precision fit and may or may not fit depending on whether I need a haircut

Urge Enduromatic is a similar style but more rounded and doesn't have a retention system although there are different size pads in the box. They are quite small there's no way an L will fit me.
  • EdW
    EdW Posts: 103
    I can recommend the Bell Variant. Good adjustable retention system, comfortable padding & well ventilated, I barely notice I'm wearing it.
    I tried this, the Giro Feature, 661 Recon & Specialized Tactic when I was looking for a new helmet & prefered the Bell.

The Bell Stoker looks good as well, but not sure if it's on sale yet.
  • I am on my second Met Xilo. You can get them for around £30.
    I really rate it. Plenty of ventilation, fits very nice, and go pro and magicshine helmet mounts fit on top perfectly.
    It works well in a crash too. Hence being on my second!
  • Cqc
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Urge enduromatic anyone?
  • Kowalski675
    Cqc wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Urge enduromatic anyone?

Never tried one, but friend of a friend has one. He likes it, but finds it v warm - he had a rather sweaty head by the time we'd finished at Gisburn, and it wasn't a hot day (although not a cold one either).
  • Cqc
    Cheers, Raleigh extreme III anyone?
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Another for the giro feature and got mine for £40 in a rather dashing green !
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Kowalski675
    Just under £40 for mine too, in stealth satin black.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The specialized Align was very comfy and looked well ventilated when I tried one on in a store.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kowalski675
    The Rookie wrote:
    The specialized Align was very comfy and looked well ventilated

It's both of those things. At least it is on my head - I have one of those, fits me really well. Cheap too (got mine for £24). The £55 Tactic 2 is good too, similar fit shape and same excellent Trifix straps.
  • i've had a 661 recon for a couple of years now & would recommend but you do get hot.
  • Cqc
    Specialized align is a roadie helmet... Giro feature it is. Any tips for keeping your head cool on hot days?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cqc wrote:
    Specialized align is a roadie helmet... Giro feature it is. Any tips for keeping your head cool on hot days?
    Ride slowly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Or ride really fast. Alternatively, you could just man up :D
  • Cqc
    Fair dos. I'm thinking of partially shave my head so the shaven bits act like air channels to complement the vents of the giro feature helmet. Anyone else done that?
  • cooldad
    No but we are sane.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cqc
    You mean shaving your head to match your helmet design isn't normal?
  • Kowalski675
    Cqc wrote:
    Specialized align is a roadie helmet

No it isn't.
  • cooldad
    Cqc wrote:
    You mean shaving your head to match your helmet design isn't normal?
    No asking other people isn't sane.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ulysses
    Ulysses Posts: 104
    Cqc wrote:
    Fair dos. I'm thinking of partially shave my head so the shaven bits act like air channels to complement the vents of the giro feature helmet. Anyone else done that?

Buzz cut the lot off, works for me ... well, I still had a hot head in the summer ... maybe I shouldnt have shaved all my hair off :?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Align is listed as a recreational/commute helmet (not Roadie FGS!) but if it works.....I wouldn't wear it for DH but for XC/Trail it is a good option.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kowalski675
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Align is listed as a recreational/commute helmet (not Roadie FGS!) but if it works.....I wouldn't wear it for DH but for XC/Trail it is a good option.

Yup, it's marketed as an all rounder (hence the removable peak). The clue is that it's not in the road lids section of their website, lol... I bought my Feature 'cos I wanted something with more rear protection (and a smaller looking shell), but the Align's great for XC type riding (and very comfy for my head).