GPS Systems -Garmin/Mio/Polar

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I am interested in a GPS system and preferably one which has a level of ride tracking (where you can see a profile of what is coming up - gradient/elevation/descent etc), and showing a % gradient when going up hills.
I currently have a Garmin edge 200 which is very basic and has no level of mapping.

How does the Edge 500/800, Mio Cyclo 300/305 and Polar range stack up? Other than the ability for heart rate functions.
If any of you have good/bad experiences of them then i'd be delighted to hear.
Looking at a budget of around £200 -yes I know the garmin 800 range is more expensive.

Any other models/brands that you find good then please suggest.

Thanks in advance.
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    To the best of my knowledge there aren't any dedicated GPS devices that have 3D mapping.... For that you'll need an android/smartphone with the relevant app. As for knowing hill gradients as you ride this is a really simple solution - http://www.skymounti.com/html/gb.html

GPS device wise I cannot recommend the Garmin 800 more - accurate tracking even under tree cover, you can upload tracks and there is (basic) route navigation, ANT+ compatible, barometric and temperature sensors, compatible with power meters, HR monitors, cadence sensors and another half dozen features....excellent although pricey maps, very good battery run time, water resistant, the bike mount is sturdy, the screen is quite good in bright sunlight, very good ride analysis with garmin connect. All in a really great piece of kit, worth very single penny it cost me.

You may be able to pick one up for your budget if you're patient or look hard enough... Go for the trail bundle if you can.