Football.. a national waste

mamba80
mamba80 Posts: 5,032
edited November 2013 in The cake stop
Isnt it about time this so called game was banned?

After years of trying we cant even beat a German B team at home, the same old excuses are trotted out and no doubt a new boss will be bought in but we all know it will make zero difference, we cant play it - the german keeper made no saves that were on target.. perhaps the goal should be made bigger for the English teams?

What else gives other nations reason to laugh at us brits in the way football does?

Just imagine how many stadiums could be converted to Velodromes and other sporting venues? the savings in AE admissions from all those over weight middle aged men with twisted ankles that clog up hospitals on a saturday afternnon?
All those police could equally be employed to patrol the streets instead of controlling thugs invading towncenters?

and we could invest even more in sports we can actually play or compete in?

Seems far fetched? well not really, if a sport wants any public funding, then that sport has to prove a certain track record and football fails miserably - why should football be any different?

Comments

• meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    There was an excellent closing remark on the Guardian live text feed during the game. I was at work so couldn't watch it, it went something like

90 + 4 mins England 0 Germany 1 The England fans boo, because they are thick.

Still has me chuckling now.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    The real disappointment will come when we get knocked out of the World Cup ( which won't take long)

Same old story everytime.

I'm so glad I don't follow football.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    there're a lot of people who need to belong to a tribe, football fulfills that need

can't see the attraction myself, i'd rather be the witch doctor
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    mamba80 wrote:
    Isnt it about time this so called game was banned?

After years of trying we cant even beat a German B team at home, the same old excuses are trotted out and no doubt a new boss will be bought in but we all know it will make zero difference, we cant play it - the german keeper made no saves that were on target.. perhaps the goal should be made bigger for the English teams?

What else gives other nations reason to laugh at us brits in the way football does?

Just imagine how many stadiums could be converted to Velodromes and other sporting venues? the savings in AE admissions from all those over weight middle aged men with twisted ankles that clog up hospitals on a saturday afternnon?
    All those police could equally be employed to patrol the streets instead of controlling thugs invading towncenters?

and we could invest even more in sports we can actually play or compete in?

Seems far fetched? well not really, if a sport wants any public funding, then that sport has to prove a certain track record and football fails miserably - why should football be any different?

A real contender for the "Post containing the most unsubstantiated nonsense" of the week award :roll:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • a daft op, that would have been made valid had the title been international football.

the football disliker (be it dislike watching or dislike playing or condescending view of those that do either, apart from the pros who would mostly be in the nick if they wern't pros) always strikes me as the kid who was picked last in PE at school...!

international football however is in its death throes. the Pl and CL killed it off for england.

top club football teams are better than most international sides (bar spain and maybe germany)

for me international football is the refuge of the little knowledge, band wagon jumping fan, someone who doesnt like football, has very little knowledge of it or interest just jumps on the band wagon when its engerlund (or also maybe, and i have had stick from some mates from this, the lower league club supporter).

annoys me at tournamnets with all the st geotges flags out and all the tarquin fans in the pubs when its on.

the best international tournaments in my memory were USA 94 when i was but a kid, and euro 2008 when there was none of the faux nationalism on show. (and also france 98, which was just a fine tournament all round)
  • Football and England is pretty much comparable to the French and winning Le Tour de France.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    for me international football is the refuge of the little knowledge, band wagon jumping fan, someone who doesnt like football, has very little knowledge of it or interest just jumps on the band wagon when its engerlund

You've stolen a post of mine and changed the words rugby and Wales for football and Engurlund! :evil:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    International football should be the pinnacle of the sport. I can't see how anybody can have any passion about following a franchise, which is what the top clubs are becoming. Lower league / non-league football still has that link to the community that makes supporting a team make some kind of sense, but then the standard of football is so poor you might as well watch your kids down the park. You need that balance of there being some point in supporting a team (something you can identify with) and a sufficiently high standard of football to admire. International football is the only place I can see this happening in the foreseeable future, so it'll be a damn shame if it withers and dies.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Pross wrote:
    for me international football is the refuge of the little knowledge, band wagon jumping fan, someone who doesnt like football, has very little knowledge of it or interest just jumps on the band wagon when its engerlund

You've stolen a post of mine and changed the words rugby and Wales for football and Engurlund! :evil:

Except they only care when they re playing England...

Most hilarious thing I did when I lived in N Wales was walk to a pub wearing an England Rugby Shirt during the Football World Cup to watch a game, surrounded by St Georges crosses hanging out of every window (no really) watching people open their mouths to shout an insult then shut it again when they remembered they were wearing an england football shirt too....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    sungod wrote:
    there're a lot of people who need to belong to a tribe, football fulfills that need

Three words: Replica team jerseys

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Except they only care when Wales are doing well or they re playing England...

Fixed.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    My alternative universe has no football in it. I do charge a small entrance fee to cover administration costs but I think it represents pretty good value...
  • Most hilarious thing I did when I lived in N Wales was walk to a pub wearing an England Rugby Shirt during the Football World Cup to watch a game, surrounded by St Georges crosses hanging out of every window (no really) watching people open their mouths to shout an insult then shut it again when they remembered they were wearing an england football shirt too....

What a hero / turd (delete as required) you are.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    SecretSam wrote:
    sungod wrote:

So wasting too much time on a web site where everyone agrees how good cycling is doesn't then?
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    SecretSam wrote:
    sungod wrote:

Quite right - you'd never catch cyclists doing that now would you!! :wink::wink::lol:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I totally agree with this thread, football should have been banned a long time ago, complete waste of time and money. I'm so glad I don't follow it.
  • couldnt agree more!

then they should ban cycling- bunch of drug crazed cheats and weirdos blocking the roads with their silly contraptions.

some right whoppers on here.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,504
    Football is the most popular sport in the country, enjoyed by millions. And you think that it should be banned just because you don't like it? :lol:

Jog on...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    and there was I thinking that it was fishing - as a participation sport.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Football is the most popular sport in the country, enjoyed by millions. And you think that it should be banned just because you don't like it? :lol:

Jog on...
    ..... kitty :)

i should have said international football, club football, is another matter and the "international :lol: teams " we send overseas seem to do quite well...sometimes

but the national squad is a joke and they should be disbanded with immediate effect :)
  • I'm all for getting rid of football altogether, my concern would be what would happen to all the wheezy, beer-bellied armchair critics in their XXXXXL football shirts? How would Radio 5 Live fill its hours of airtime without the utterly inane drivel and rantings of those who never amounted to anything in the game telling the professionals how to do it? How would strange men in pubs communicate without their common language of football?

God forbid that they would migrate to cycling, although we are prepared for the pot-bellied armchair critic who thinks they know best and likes talking to strange men in pubs as they would be ideal fodder for the Pro Race board. :lol:
  • all football haters were picked on at school and last to be picked for team games, and thus found cycling....!!!

thats my theory, and that why they resent JCLs like me, who only joined in this ,malarkey cos football and running ruined my knees!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    plowmar wrote:
    and there was I thinking that it was fishing - as a participation sport.

No, it isn't fishing, it's football. Think how many people take part in football unofficially - kickabouts with your mates, 5-a-side leagues down at your local leisure centre, etc. Football is by far the most popular participation sport.
  • In the world
  • meursault
    Interesting stat from bbc website

According to Uefa, Germany has 35,000 coaches with the top three coaching qualifications; England has about 3,000

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25060954

Sums up what is wrong with the English game.

Voltaire
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Only 4 of the current managers in the EPL are English.

There are 4 Scots.

WTF are you lot all doing down there? Tiddlywinks?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • meursault
    We are too busy crying because the nasty Austwalian man threw the ball too hard at us...

Voltaire
  • all football haters were picked on at school and last to be picked for team games, and thus found cycling....!!!

thats my theory, and that why they resent JCLs like me, who only joined in this ,malarkey cos football and running ruined my knees!

I played football up until my mid-thirties when a long standing ankle injury became too much so I certainly don't hate the game itself but equally I've not got much time for many of it's supporters. How people get so uptight over something that they've no control over and ultimately means very little anyway baffles me I have to say.
  • quite, thats why i jacked in my ST after having it since i was a kid when my old man got a couple as a bondholder when they built the new north bank.

however i still like the game and follow it, i dont understand the all supporters are scum, and the inferration of many on this forum that liking, playing and following football is somehow something to be looked down upon and that those who do like it are somehow lesser.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,504
    daviesee wrote:
    Only 4 of the current managers in the EPL are English.

There are 4 Scots.

WTF are you lot all doing down there? Tiddlywinks?
    Probably explains why English football is in a state - all these Scottish managers sabotaging things by employing Johnny foreigner and stopping our lads getting a game :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]