Rockshox Sektor Silver RL solo air

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone know anything about this fork?
It comes fitted to the Giant Trance 27.5 3 but I can't find any info on it.
In the photo on Giant's website it looks like aluminium stanchions but I'm not sure.
Can Sektors be upgraded with a mission control damper?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is an oe fork with steel stanchions and motion control.

Mission control is not available for 32mm forks.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Bugger, thats no good. I was thinking I could buy a basic trance and fit a better damper in the fork.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Yeah, they're steel stanchions, my LBS has one in. As far as i can tell it's the equivalent of a Recon Silver, but with motion control damper, rather than TK.

They've got the Trance 2 and 1 in too, the 1's a really nice looking bike. Only thing that puts me off it is the press fit BB.

If you're still considering a 26" Mega, CRC have the AM and TR frames reduced currently (under £900).
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Trance 1 is within my budget but the fork is rubbish and has an odd size steerer tube which only fits a few Giant bikes so I would be stuck with it.
    I have had a Trance before and it was really good. I think that with the right build it could be my ideal bike. It should be spot on for a bit of enduro racing and alpine riding but a fast xc bike as well.
  • Kowalski675
    You must have higher expectations than me, lol - the fork on the Trance 1 felt fine to me. God knows why Giant insist on fannying about with non standard "standards" in the headstock region though.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Fox Float Evolution is ok but a little basic. It lacks the compression adjustment to get it set up how I want it. The trail setting has too much compression and the descend setting seems to have no compression. The high speed compression is a little harsh as well. You can't get the damper tuned because it's a sealed unit, the only option for tuning the fork is to install a FIT damper which costs £300 and even then I still prefer the feel of Rockshox forks.
    I have been a bit spoilt by my Boxxer R2C2 on my Scalp and the Lyrik RC2DH on my old Reign X.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The RL is a decent fork - full LSC damping adjustment.
  • The Trance 1 is within my budget but the fork is rubbish and has an odd size steerer tube which only fits a few Giant bikes so I would be stuck with it.

I'm sure I read you can just plonk a new headset to run other forks... Unless they're changed something for 2014, the headtube is a standard size but the upper bearing is a custom size.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The problem is that I won't be able to sell the original fork.
    The picture on the Giant website does look like it has aluminium stanchions on the Sektor fork
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 002/66615/
  • Kowalski675
    They're definitely steel on the one in my LBS.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have just found something else at a ridiculous price for a new, top quality bike. Photos of something rather tasty will be posted in the your bikes section soon....