Rear shock service or replace?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
The Rockshox Monarch on my Boardman FS appears to be losing air, so I'm looking to send it off to someone who knows what they're doing, who would people recommend? Cheers.

Been in touch with Loco, TF Tuned and Plush who can all do a service for less than £100, any others to consider?

Other alternative is to possibly replace it with something better, although I'd have no idea where to start there, lol, any reasonably priced recommendations on that front? Bike Discount have the RP23 for around £130, but I've no idea if that's an upgrade...

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd buy new, the rp23 is excellent, and you'll get two years warranty.
  • broona
    supersonic wrote:

Thanks. How would I know what size I'd need to replace it with as there's hundreds of options?! :oops:

Edit, it would appear that I need a 190x50, and I can't find a reasonably priced RP23 in that size. :?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Just to throw in an alternative, TFTuned will tune your shock for your weight, bike and riding style so it still might be worth considering. I sent them my old Fox Van RC when it was leaking oil and had a wobbly shaft... it felt dead basically, however when it came back from TFTuned it honestly felt better than it did when it was new. Totally transformed it. Now I have no experience of the Monarch so don’t know what tuning options there are for it, but I did see a post on STW (I think) a while back where someone was saying their tuned Monarch felt better than a stock RP23, so I’d certainly give them a call to see what they can offer you ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    broona wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Thanks. How would I know what size I'd need to replace it with as there's hundreds of options?! :oops:

Edit, it would appear that I need a 190x50, and I can't find a reasonably priced RP23 in that size. :?

buy my push tuned fox van rc 8)
  • broona
    POAH wrote:

Ha ha, think that might be a little overkill for an XC bike!

Think it's around £150 to get it serviced and tuned by TF, might just be the sensible option, as it's decent when it's not leaking...
  • CitizenLee
    broona wrote:
    it's decent when it's not leaking...

That should be the new RockShox slogan :)

I'm looking at you brand new Reverb and your crappy seals! :evil:

Jokes aside, let us know how you get on with it.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    broona wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Ha ha, think that might be a little overkill for an XC bike!

Think it's around £150 to get it serviced and tuned by TF, might just be the sensible option, as it's decent when it's not leaking...

about that for the push tune and service.
  • broona
    CitizenLee wrote:
    broona wrote:

Yeah, mine's got a Reverb on there too, although to be fair, the Monarch's around 2 years old and has done a fairly hard couple of thousand miles.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    DIY service and seal kit would be the cheapest solution. Monarch shocks are really easy to service and SRAM's service manuals have step by step simple instructions.
  • CitizenLee
    broona wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    broona wrote:

Yeah, mine's got a Reverb on there too, although to be fair, the Monarch's around 2 years old and has done a fairly hard couple of thousand miles.

That's not bad going then! All without service too?

My Reverb was pretty much DOA. Going back for warranty soon though.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • broona
    CitizenLee wrote:
    That's not bad going then! All without service too?

My Reverb was pretty much DOA. Going back for warranty soon though.

Yeah, it's never been touched, just cleaned and lubed every now and then.

Touch wood, my Reverb's fine...