car v's motorbike

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited November 2013 in The Crudcatcher
i'm not really into cars or bikes, but this vid is pretty cool - but I can't decide if the driver is a dick or not :?

http://vitaminl.tv/video/911

Comments

• I'm no expert... But who'll be second to give comment to this? some I'm a rad motorcyclist loling god?
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    welshkev wrote:
    i'm not really into cars or bikes, but this vid is pretty cool - but I can't decide if the driver is a dick or not :?

As much as I love bikes (which, admittedly is not as much as it used to be), when it comes to properly fast cars then (traffic permitting) the car will win every time. When it comes to big speeds you can't argue with brute horsepower and aerodynamics (and bikes are about as aerodynamic as the side of a house).
  • Kowalski675
    I'm no expert... But who'll be second to give comment to this? some I'm a rad motorcyclist loling god?

Assuming that pathetic little girl bitch post is aimed at me, show me where I've ever claimed to be a "rad motorcyclist god"? Far from it, I used to be a fast road rider (in the context of normal mortals, not folk like TT racers), but it was always down to stupidity, and not giving a shit whether I came home on two wheels or in a pine box, rather than talent.
  • Oh you mean like the twats on fast bikes who floor it at every opportunity and use clutch engaged revs as a horn/get out my way, I have to compensate for my manhood.
  • Kowalski675
    I wouldn't know. My manhood needs no compensating for, lol.
  • Chunky problem alert lol lol lol
  • Matt-r8
    Matt-r8 Posts: 298
    No need to clutch in and rev. Most'll hear me coming, and if they were paying attention to the road, would have seen the bike approaching In Their rear view mirrors. If someone doesn't want to let me pass then that's fine. I'll just wait until the next SAFE opportunity. love my bike, but trying to stay within the speed limit is very difficult, so will probably sell up.
  • Kowalski675
    Matt-r8 wrote:
    No need to clutch in and rev. Most'll hear me coming,

Love my Arrow 3 into 1 full system - it was an extravagance, but it sounds sooo good, weighs next to nowt and gives a useful increase in mumbo. Worth every penny each time you hear that delicious bark when matching your revs downshifting. :)
  • shoddy
    shoddy Posts: 63
    I think all three were idiots. You can have an enjoyable drive/ride without endangering so many other people. Don't think they were 1000cc bikes either (neither is the Audi 600BHP).
  • Kowalski675
    shoddy wrote:
    (neither is the Audi 600BHP).

How do you know? A standard one is 520bhp, so a mildly modded one would easily be putting out 600. And last time I looked GSXR Thous and ZX10s were 1000cc (well, not exactly 1000, but labelled as such).
  • Matt-r8
    I agree with the bikes not been thous. Probably 600's looking at the width of the rear tyres. Could be wrong, but it's what I thought the first time I seen this clip.
  • All 3 dicks on the open highway and I'd rather not be around when they are about. Take it to the track; no arguments.

Corners
  • Kowalski675
    Matt-r8 wrote:
    I agree with the bikes not been thous. Probably 600's looking at the width of the rear tyres.

So you can tell the difference between a 180 and a 190 at that distance on an amateur video clip? Your eyes must be sharper than mine, lol, especially given the variance in actual width and nominal width between different tyres (for example my 180 Avon is actually as big as 190s from other manufacturers). The suzuki's definitely a GSXR Thou. Difficult to tell with the Kwak, kit could possibly be a ZX6R, but the driver and passenger are close enough to read the decals, so see no reason to doubt them.
  • Matt-r8
    Matt-r8 wrote:
    I agree with the bikes not been thous. Probably 600's looking at the width of the rear tyres.

So you can tell the difference between a 180 and a 190 at that distance on an amateur video clip? Your eyes must be sharper than mine, lol, especially given the variance in actual width and nominal width between different tyres (for example my 180 Avon is actually as big as 190s from other manufacturers). The suzuki's definitely a GSXR Thou. Difficult to tell with the Kwak, kit could possibly be a ZX6R, but the driver and passenger are close enough to read the decals, so see no reason to doubt them.

No reason to doubt them? What was the final year Suzuki manufactured the SRAD? My 600 was the last on Carbs and that was a '98 if I remember correctly. That looks like a K series back end.
  • Kowalski675
    Matt-r8 wrote:
    What was the final year Suzuki manufactured the SRAD? My 600 was the last on Carbs and that was a '98 if I remember correctly. That looks like a K series back end.

You've lost me? The last of the hunchback 600s was the GSXR600WY in 2000 (same frame and bodywork as the 750WY of the same year), but I don't see how that's relevant? The Suzuki in the vid is a GSXR1000 K5/K6 (same bike).
  • Matt-r8
    Yeah, but he states it's the SRAD, so he clearly has no idea what he's on about.
  • Kowalski675
    Matt-r8 wrote:
    Yeah, but he states it's the SRAD

Ah, I wondered what you were on about there. I didn't hear him say that, didn't watch it all the way through. It's definitely a K5/K6 thou though, but the Kwak could be a ZX6R. Sportsbikes all look the same these days, lol...
  • Matt-r8
    at the beginning, it was printed across the screen. Don't matter anyway. Utter bellends for riding that fast in Jeans and trainers, but at that speed they would be dead anyway i guess.
  • Kowalski675
    Matt-r8 wrote:
    Utter bellends for riding that fast in Jeans and trainers

Not big or clever, but we've all done it one time or another. Nobody died. By the looks of them that's probably their regular riding gear though, lol.

I'd rather have the Audi.
  • How many ZX-10R's could you buy for AudiV8 or whatever money? or probobly just one WSB spec Kawaplaki and have a proper race with the Audi, on closed roads of course ;) decebt pilot and the bike would nail it!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • welshkev wrote:

As much as I love bikes (which, admittedly is not as much as it used to be), when it comes to properly fast cars then (traffic permitting) the car will win every time. When it comes to big speeds you can't argue with brute horsepower and aerodynamics (and bikes are about as aerodynamic as the side of a house).

Really? I suggest you watch this one then, done by a car magazine. http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/video-mclaren-12c-v-honda-civic-btcc-racer-vs-british-superbike

In a straight line (like the OP's vid) then the car should be fine. In the real world a bike will piss all over it because of the vastly superior acceleration.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Matt-r8
    Superior acceleration is great on track, or on well surfaced and clean roads, but unfortunately that isn't really the case in this country. pot holes, gravel, just crap in general. The latest way of resurfacing roads with gravel and letting the public compress the surface is awful for bikers.
    Point to point on our roads is just too dangerous. Still great for getting about quicker than most cars, and busting through queues is a breeze.
    Unless you're an utter lunatic with no thought for yourself or others of course!
  • Acceleration that is as superior as a bikes over a cars is always going to win. As for the road surface argument, that's down to managing your right hand (both twisting and pulling) and your vision.

I do pretty much all my work travel on bikes and can't think of a single journey that would have been quicker in a car, other than those in sub-zero temperatures.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Matt-r8
    Maybe you're just a better more confident rider than me. On a decent road with little traffic on, I'm a much faster driver than I am a rider. Your video proved nothing though, as it was on a track. Slightly better road surface than your average back road. What bike do you ride?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'd take warmth, comfort of a leather seat and a radio over a 5 minute shorter journey time anyday.
  • Kowalski675
    welshkev wrote:

Really? I suggest you watch this one then, done by a car magazine. http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/video-mclaren-12c-v-honda-civic-btcc-racer-vs-british-superbike

In a straight line (like the OP's vid) then the car should be fine. In the real world a bike will wee-wee all over it because of the vastly superior acceleration.

Did you read my post? I said fast cars - not a Honda Civic. And putting up a fat journalist against a BSB champion is hardly a relevant comparison. Big power cars can match even the fastest road legal superbikes for acceleration, and walk all over them when you get into silly speeds - brute power and areodynamics wins every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBCPN2jNPDg

Point to point down a twisty road the bike will always win, because of traffic. Down the same road empty a fast car will win every time - far more rubber in contact with the roads, huge brakes, ABS, TC, ESP (etc...). Take a modern supercar or rally-bred Evo type monster and an average driver can get much closer to its limit than an average rider on a superbike (even the current sanitised ones). I drove a Nissan GTR recently and it just does it all for you - I've been riding bikes 20 years and I'd be faster from Kendal to Ripon in that GTR than on my Street R. Any "biker" who thinks they can beat a proper fast car that's actually trying down a twisty road is either kidding themselves, or lines up near the front of a BSB grid for his day job.
  • Kowalski675
    I do pretty much all my work travel on bikes and can't think of a single journey that would have been quicker in a car, other than those in sub-zero temperatures.

Depends entirely on where you live, and how long the journey. My commute in my last job was approximately 15 miles, roughly 50/50 split between urban and national speed limit roads. Occasionally in summer I'd go by bike just to enjoy a play taking the back roads on the way home, but when you look at the real journey time the car was quicker every time for my journey, at the times I was commuting (8am start, 4pm finish). Total journey time for car was around 35 minutes. The real journey time by bike was longer every time - you've got to get your riding gear on, move the car, undo a load of locks, drag the bike out of the garage, move the car back, ride to work, then change clothes again when you get there. By car I could just put my shoes and jacket on, and be half way to work before I would even be leaving the street if I was going by bike. Plus it's cooler in summer, warmer in winter, dry whatever the weather, far more comfortable and just a whole lot less hassle going to work sat on comfortable half leather with climate control and radio on. For me bikes are toys - to be taken out and ragged on warm summer days when the sun's shining out of a blue sky and the tarmac's dry and grippy. As practical transport they're as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
  • Kowalski675
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    How many ZX-10R's could you buy for AudiV8 or whatever money?

8.68 ZX10Rs (ABS version) for one Audi R8 V10 (base spec).
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Bikes are faster than cars but I'll qualify that statement - a 6 grand bike is faster than just about every car that most people can afford. How many people can afford a car which can do 0-60 in 3 or so secs and keep going to 180mph?

In real world riding of course a bike is generally quicker as long as you factor in the 5 mins at each end to get kitted up. I commuted by bike for many years (400 miles per week) and the main benefit was the consistency in my commute times. Even on the worst of accident strewn days my 1hr commute might stretch to 2hrs. My worst days in the car though saw me getting home 8 or 10 hours after leaving the office.

As for the video. I just hope their organs go to people more deserving than themselves.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Kowalski675
    The motorcyclists' organs will be smeared all over the tarmac like tomato puree... :lol: