Parisians!

meursault
meursault Posts: 1,433
edited December 2013 in The cake stop
Can you help?

I need recommendations for eating, drinking and things to do/see.

I am staying near region 17 with the Mrs. for a weekend. Not bothered about anything too touristy.
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    If you are anywhere near the Place De La Concorde, then I recommend this place for food:-

http://www.lescure1919.fr/
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    if the weather is dry just walk around and get lost, I've found some real gems this way. After I have had some coffee I shall try and think of some places around Monceau for you.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Had an excellent meal at L'Estrapade off Rue Mouffetard, to which I’d been directed by a colleague. That whole area (the 5th) is worth a wander of an evening, thick with bars restaurants, clubs etc.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    Buy a carnet of tickets for the metro, it works out cheaper, IIRC it's a little book of ten tickets.

I also recall that the Metro was a bit of a bugger to use, it has a similar system to London in that it has coloured lines, but some of the colours were sort of pastel shades and we couldn't tell one from the other on faded signs. :roll:

I stayed opposite the Gard du Nord a few years ago, I always enjoy the Paris bit in "The Bourne Identity", just before the car chase as you can see the cafe we had breakfast in.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Tried to get away without paying did you!
  • meursault
    Nice one excellent info, merky buckets.

Voltaire
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    definitely worth a walk up to sacré cœur, looking from the front return by the road at the rear left, you'll get down into some small streets with lots of excellent cafes, before going, watch rendezvous so you can recognize the steps at the top...

http://www.streetfire.net/video/ctait-u ... 064708.htm

wind can be bitter in the wide streets, i was there with milady sungod, it was bloody freezing, wish i'd brought more clothes to keep warm, but it was still nice to just wander at random

if you plan to take the metro, as above get a carnet, the tickets don't expire so if you have any left hang onto them, might be useful one day
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Just spent the past year living/working in Paris - amazing place. Ok, you said you weren't bothered by the touristy bits, but I would still make time to got to le Tour Eiffel, and Montmartre/Sacre Couer. Both are stunning.

If you're there on a Friday night, try Albion, Rue de Faubourg. Fantastic food... Google Albion + Paris. It's also half wind shop so a lovely place to go. They're closed weekends tho.

Cafe St Regis on Ile st Louis (next to Notre Dame) is really good for brunch, lunch and dinner. Maybe not very Parisian but a lovely interior and atmosphere.

Head to Rue Cler for a selection of great cafés and restaurants - our fav was Petit Cler (I think) great vibe and quite a foodie area)

Take in one of the many fantastic Sunday markets?

Head to the Haute Marais for cool independent shops, small galleries and fab atmosphere. Or the Jewish quarter to see queues for good at the takeaways that go all the way round the block!

If you like cycling, rent a bike and do a few laps with the perpetual peloton at Longchamps race course?

Even with no recommendations you'll most likely find somewhere nice!

Have fun!
  • meursault
    Making notes on all these, TYVM.

Voltaire
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you don't go here: http://uk.procope.com/history/ then you have no soul!

There's a 29 euro 2 course menu (35 euro for 3) which is excellent. Best steak I ever had I reckon. Properly rare - the only way to have a decent steak. Snails were good too. It's quite something.

For me, Sacre Coeur is a touristy dump and the church a Victorian horror. Mont Martre is nice though. For art, the Musee Marmottan Monet is rather nice and a bit off the more beaten tracks. Had a huge Berthe Morisot exhibition on when I was there which was a real treat. If it is sunny and there is no scaffolding on it, you'll be glad you went to Sainte Chapelle - but go first thing before the queues form. Conciergerie next door is really interesting too.

Notre Dame is the worst ecclesiastical experience I have ever had. There are large numbers of massive cathedrals in France and all of them will be more enjoyable to visit than the hideous crush of Notre Dame.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    As Wavefront has recommended the Eiffel Tower....

I don't know if it's as busy at this time of year but when I went there were massive queues to go up. However, if you elect to walk up for the first couple stages (might even be one), you can beat the queues by getting the lift further up and saving yourself an hour or so.

@Wavefront. I remember reading that there is a bit of Paris that should be avoided at night, can't recall what it was and wondered if it was true.

The older I get, the better I was.

• kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    well, we visited for a weekend this summer (to see the final stage of the tour, rented an apartment and did our own cooking as we are vegetarians so can't help you there) and spent hours in musee d'orsay, a lot less crowded than Le Louvre, you can go out on the roof at the top. Liked the pompidou centre and Montmatre cemetry is great as well.
  • meursault
    Quick trip report.

Had a fantastic time. Took a few of you up on suggestions, all were excellent. I think my favourite part was just wandering around, exploring, finding nice Bistro's and bars. Thanks to you all.

DSC_0169web.JPG

DSC_0174web.JPG

DSC_0184web.JPG

DSC_0197web.JPG

DSC_0207web(1).JPG

DSC_0216web(1).JPG

DSC_0238web.JPG

DSC_0241web.JPG

DSC_0254web.JPG

DSC_0255web(1).JPG

DSC_0263web.JPG

Voltaire
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Nice shots.

Glad you had a good time.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Beautiful place, took my Gf there for our first date... still together 8 yrs later :)

Glad you had a great time.