Opinions on Raleigh road bikes

billsdon
billsdon Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Road general
For the past few years Raleigh's road bikes have been looking better and better. I'm thinking of investing - call me sentimental but I like the British heritage. Anyone riding the Militis, Revenio or SP series? How are they performing?

Comments

• The militis and carbon renevo or what ever they are called look real nice.

Its nice to see Raleigh pushing back into the high end market again.
    They are really starting to pull out the stops with the new investment etc.

The militis has had good reviews. Latest review said its frame may just be the best one out there.. That's a good start. http://road.cc/content/review/87692-raleigh-militis-3

They are owned by a Dutch firm now but they still have r&d and offices in the UK. + there still Raleigh bike shops about.

But yeah the Militis looks real nice. It was in the front pack if I remember in the tour of Britain this summer. Seen a black one from afar and it looked sweet.

• Had my SP for almost 2 years now, never had an issue and rides superb.

Don't see many on the road, I like the uniqueness.
  • I have a two year old sp comp with 105 and love it. I bought it to commute and train on, but to be honest my 'posh' de rosa's dont really get a look in any more.
  • Nice bikes and specs, let down by the fact they're generally always on sale!
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/raleigh-militis-pro-105-2014/

Anybody got one of these? Not that many results when searched for on this forum, seem quite rare. Just looking for a bit of user feedback.
  • Some of the new Raleigh bikes have been getting good reviews now, which is nice to see. I would probably avoid the lower end machines though- I saw pictures of one of their forks having snapped (in the middle of the forks too- not at the steerer!) on one of the Evans sportives a few months back.

Unfortunately I think they use cheap generic Chinese forks on their cheaper models- although their more expensive offerings seem to have their forks designed along with the bike as per usual.
  • No reason why they shouldn't be good bikes, but the name is the drawback . How many times have you seen a rusty scrapper that's been thrown in a river or a skip and its a Raleigh, Dawes, Peugeot etc. Could be great bikes but Im positive there would be those who are brand obsessed in cycling circles sitting on their flavour of the month and looking down on Raleigh bikes with sniggering and finger pointing.
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • No reason why they shouldn't be good bikes, but the name is the drawback . How many times have you seen a rusty scrapper that's been thrown in a river or a skip and its a Raleigh, Dawes, Peugeot etc. Could be great bikes but Im positive there would be those who are brand obsessed in cycling circles sitting on their flavour of the month and looking down on Raleigh bikes with sniggering and finger pointing.

If ever there was a reason to buy one, then that's it!!
  • I think the brand name Raleigh suffers from Skoda Syndrome . Todays Skodas are made by VW and are a very credible car , however there are those who will always see skoda as lada equivalent abominations that they used to be and cant see the modern models for what they are. Similarly there are those who will always equate Raleigh with a rusty old scrapper with buckled wheels lying in a river, tossed into a skip or a brand more suited to 7 year olds and sold alongside trainsets and space hoppers in toy shops. I wouldn't buy one myself but Im positive the higher end bikes would be very good indeed.
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    billsdon wrote:
    For the past few years Raleigh's road bikes have been looking better and better. I'm thinking of investing - call me sentimental but I like the British heritage. Anyone riding the Militis, Revenio or SP series? How are they performing?

Don't have one myself, but I wouldn't buy one because of 'british heritage.' I think that died out for raleigh long ago.

Yeah, they are about as british as Cadburys these days!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    No reason why they shouldn't be good bikes, but the name is the drawback . How many times have you seen a rusty scrapper that's been thrown in a river or a skip and its a Raleigh, Dawes, Peugeot etc. Could be great bikes but Im positive there would be those who are brand obsessed in cycling circles sitting on their flavour of the month and looking down on Raleigh bikes with sniggering and finger pointing.

If ever there was a reason to buy one, then that's it!!

Couldn't agree more! And lets not forget, the same applies to Bianchi in Italy. It's a strange logic that turns its nose up at a product because it has been successful for a long time.........

In reality though, people have the memory of goldfish. If something is good, and looks good, they'll buy it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    I think the brand name Raleigh suffers from Skoda Syndrome . Todays Skodas are made by VW and are a very credible car

My neighbour has a Sharan and a Golf, the two biggest POS on my road. The Sharan leaks oil like a sieve and belches black smoke. I know it is not the most recent car but really it is an embarressment for the brand; which I already had a poor opinion off.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    The trouble with a Militis is that no matter how good the bike is, the name sounds like a disease.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    The trouble with a Militis is that no matter how good the bike is, the name sounds like a disease.

It is.

Inflammation of the spinal chord.

Why you would name a road bike after a serious back pain? :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    team47b wrote:

Now that is seriously funny. Truth really is stranger than fiction.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    team47b wrote:

Now that is seriously funny. Truth really is stranger than fiction.

Hahaha! Now that genuinely has put me off buying it :lol:
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    Its actually Latin for Miles.......

You are referring to 'transverse myelitis' which is the inflammation in the back..

.......Well this is awkward
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    davidof wrote:
    I think the brand name Raleigh suffers from Skoda Syndrome . Todays Skodas are made by VW and are a very credible car

My neighbour has a Sharan and a Golf, the two biggest POS on my road. The Sharan leaks oil like a sieve and belches black smoke. I know it is not the most recent car but really it is an embarressment for the brand; which I already had a poor opinion off.
    I have the new one. It's brilliant. And am about to get a skoda to go with it.....
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • team47b
    Joeblack wrote:

You are referring to 'transverse myelitis' which is the inflammation in the back..

Spelling spoilsport :D

I read this and assumed (wrongly!) that people with this condition would know how to spell it! :roll:

http://www.steadyhealth.com/Treatment_f ... 53375.html
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    team47b wrote:
    Joeblack wrote:

Spelling spoilsport :D

I read this and assumed (wrongly!) that people with this condition would know how to spell it! :roll:

http://www.steadyhealth.com/Treatment_f ... 53375.html

A common problem for those with Raynauds.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • team47b
    :D

I think it's wrong to compare Raleigh with Skoda, it would be more accurate to compare them with Reliant as the chief designer at Raleigh left to start Reliant. :D