Round things that make the bike roll, wheels

temitchell1987
temitchell1987 Posts: 73
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to upgrade my wheels.

Essentially I have taken my Mavic Aksiums off of my summer bike and put them on my winter bike, where I would like them to stay.

I'm thinking Mavic Ksyriums, I'm quite a heavy rider 94kg (fairly recently retired rugby player)

This would be around the £350-400 bracket, has anyone any further suggestions............

Cheers then

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    While some will ride those for thousand of miles without issue many a 94kg rider will get issues. I have been talking to a customer who is 70kg is has spoke snapping on some very expensive Mavic's. So you may get away with it but you may not. You can have quite light wheels that are higher spoke count, they even will be as areo or unaero as a mavic wheelset.

Something like velocity A23, DT Swiss RR440, H plus Son archetypes are all good on something mike Miche hubs or Ultegra hubs. 28H/32H or 32H/32H with Sapim Laser spokes front and NDS rear. Sapim Race spokes DS rear

Maybe grey archetypes on ultrgra hubs or black archetypes on Miche Primato hubs. Both these would not be overly heavy but ride well and they will be relaible.

Mavic Open Pro's work well too and would be good on Miche or ultegra hubs.

Lots of choice really and there are more hubs and rims as well but in all cases a 32 spoke rear wheel is a good choice but not the one you want to here I think.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Pplenty of choice in that price bracket, thinking of the usual suspects, Fulcrum 3's, Shimano Ultegras which will give you serviceable hub bearings, Ribble and Planet X offer some good deals. I presume the summer bike and posh new wheels will go into mothballs till the sun emerges again in June? Should have plenty of chance to wear out the Aksiums on the winter bike in the slush and filth and potholes over the festive period.
  • Yeah the summer bike is staying in the spare room until my trip to Majorca in March.

So no rush to buy them but having a hunt around. Cheers guys!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    My advice would be to read the other 28 million posts on wheels and build up a knowledge bank to make your decision from.

You need to be realistic with what you want and need from a wheelset as this will then allow you to make an informed choice.

If you are too lazy for the above just buy the Mavics or some Shimano RS80's because everyone seems to love them (except me obviously).
    Yellow is the new Black.