numb hands and feet?

tapscrew
tapscrew Posts: 56
edited November 2013 in Road general
I go out riding most days and when its cold my hands and feet get soooooo cold they go numb so I have difficulty changing gear. I wear lots of layers including several pairs of socks and skiing gloves as my cycling gloves are even colder! Anyone have any suggestions for some really good winter gear or anyway to keep those hands and feet a bit warmer??????!!

Comments

• nick1c
    nick1c Posts: 48
    If your fingers/ fingertips go yellow you may suffer from Raynaud's phenomenon. IIRC it may be possible to get drugs from your GP to help.
  • I bought a pair of 'Outdoor Research' gloves after an outdoor instructor (you know, the blokes with big beards) recommended them. And they've been great. Have had them on when it's been down to -15 and still had toasty hands.

Bought then in the local Tiso and I seem to think the packaging said they had a lifetime guarantee.
  • I get cold feet but not hands. I have found that overshoes are better than extra socks. It probably depends on your shoes but I find they keep the cold air out of your shoes so it's easier for your socks to keep some heat in. I just bought some cheap Altura ones as I didn't know how much they would help but they are starting to get a bit worn after being used all through last winter so I might upgrade them soon.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    If your hands are cold, work on heating up your core.

As for your feet, you just need to try and block out the cold airflow.
  • For avoidance of cold feet, it's less about thick woolie socks and good overshoes or winter boots (although these are very important) and more about having space in the shoe/boot for a warm insulating air layer and toe wiggle room.

You can have all the gear and no toe wiggle room and your feet will be like blocks of ice. Winter shoes need to be a size up from summer shoes if you're venturing out in very cold temps.

Again for gloves it's about layering and giving the fingers a bit of space for warm air ratherthan super-expensive solutions. I use cheap thin fleece gloves with slightly-too-big Aldi cycling gloves over the top. Good for minus 5 or below.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I bought a pair of 'Outdoor Research' gloves after an outdoor instructor (you know, the blokes with big beards) recommended them. And they've been great. Have had them on when it's been down to -15 and still had toasty hands.

Bought then in the local Tiso and I seem to think the packaging said they had a lifetime guarantee.
    Which ones have you got? there are loads on their website... http://www.outdoorresearch.co.uk/mens/gloves
  • If you are on the market for overshoes, then i use these.....

10002_9505_155953.jpg

They are waterproof and windproof and i have no problems with cold feet. As for your cold hands, cycle harder to get your core temperature up ;)
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Having too many layers was my problem..

On our winter MTB rides, basically in all weather conditions including heavy snow, I would have winter boots, and two pairs of socks and over shoes... My feet were rammed in, and my feet used to freeze, same with hands, wearing two pairs of gloves.

After advice from my club mates, I now only go out with proper winter socks (1 pair), and good shoes with over shoes, and only with a good pair of gloves (1 layer).. and I stay toasty warm
  • ju5t1n wrote:
    [Which ones have you got? there are loads on their website... http://www.outdoorresearch.co.uk/mens/gloves

I've got the gripper ones for the bike.

Also have their Mitts, but that's a bit OTT for out on the bike - probably. 8)
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    A good set of neoprene overshoes will work wonders. I use Planet-X, they're on their 3rd or 4th winter and only cost about 15 quid.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!