SRAM Powerlink removal.

cheese_toastie
cheese_toastie Posts: 35
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I have an Sram chain fitted to my mountain bike with a powerlink fitted. I have been trying to remove this for a while now so I can properly clean and lube the chain.
They obviously go on a lot easier than they come off, I have tried thin nose pliers to push it together to enable removal but not budging.
Does anyone know a good method of removing these things. Or is there a special tool you need to buy? Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Squeeze the plates together and push from each end.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    There are tools available to separate them but really they are just funny shaped pliers. Are you sure it is a Powerlink? 10 speed Sram chains use Powerlock's which are not designed to be reused.
  • It is an 8 speed chain, I have seen the demos on U tube and tried squeezing them together. But no luck, checked out ebay before and you can buy special pliers for between £8 and £12.
    I think perhaps this powerlink is just unusually tight, thanks for the help.
  • I had exactly the same problem and eventually had to break the chain and replace the power link .
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I find sometimes I struggle for a bit, swear, curse, hurt my fingers etc.
    Then relax for a second, try again and they just slip out easily. It's like a technique.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I separated my KMC chain recently and there was definitely a knack to it. After a good few minutes messing about with needle nose pliers I tried it by hand and after a couple of goes I got the angle right it separated easily. I needed it off there and then, and was just about to say f**k it and use the chain tool when I tried it by hand and it just popped open.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If using pliers, make sure you compress in the right place, one way seperates them, one way tightens them even further!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have given up trying to remove this powerlink by hand, at my local Halfords the staff their recommended the use of propper link pliers as they are designed to be a tight fit for obvious reasons lol.
    They have ordered me some KMC link pliers for, only £7.69 which is cheaper than ebay and arriving tomorrow.
    Thanks for the replies.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Spray or clean with release oil and it will come apart with no effort , any dirt stops the links compressing together so you will never get it apart .
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I think I paid under a fiver for the proper tool. Worth it to avoid all the swearing.