Replacement for old XT brakes?

neil_sheehan2000
neil_sheehan2000 Posts: 529
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I've had a set of Shimano XT brakes since 2008, which I've been perfectly happy with. Problem is that now the rear one seems to have lost a fair bit of power; it's also making a creaking/popping noise when I pull the lever, and bleeding them (twice) and changing pads haven't helped.

I think it's time for a replacement!

So, I was wondering: since I've been more than happy with my old XT brakes, I'm going to stick with Shimano. I'm not really looking for a set that perform massively better than I've already had though. I'm kind of assuming that Shimano's brakes would have all gotten better over the past 5 years, so do you think I'd be just as happy with a set of SLX brakes (and saving a few quid), or would you recommend that I go for XT again?

CRC are doing great deals on both at the minute, with a full set of XT only working out at about 20 quid more; should I just spend the extra 20 quid and go XT?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Replacement for old XT brakes?

New xt brakes.
  • New xt brakes.

Yeah, just realised this was a really stupid question really. There's £20 difference; I'm obviously going XT.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Given that they're gonna last you for years, I'd pay the extra few quid for the extra adjutability of XTs. It was a no brainer for me - the XTs were actually slightly cheaper then the SLX when I bought mine a couple of weeks ago.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm still using M765 generation XT brakes, working fine, it should just be a case of finding what is wrong with yours!

Having said that, I'm always looking for spares if you want to sell the rear 'iffy' one at a sensible price!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have the new style XT and after the first couple of rides I wished I had just bought the SLX. The extra adjustment available just isnt worth it in my opinion. Save the extra and buy some shiny things or beer.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I'm still using M765 generation XT brakes, working fine, it should just be a case of finding what is wrong with yours!

Having said that, I'm always looking for spares if you want to sell the rear 'iffy' one at a sensible price!

Ha! Yeah, I suspect that it can be fixed. I've got long term plans to attempt that (for a 'spare' bike I'm planning on), but quite fancy some new shiny brakes, to be honest.

stubs wrote:
    I have the new style XT and after the first couple of rides I wished I had just bought the SLX. The extra adjustment available just isnt worth it in my opinion. Save the extra and buy some shiny things or beer.

An interesting point, worth considering, thanks. I've read a lot of people saying that the bite point adjustment doesn't really do anything, but even with my current brakes I'd swear I can notice it working (of course, I have it wound out as far as it will go all the time, right enough...)
  • I recently had to buy a brake in a rush so ended up with one brand new Deore and one XT that had done two weeks of DH but had new pads and was working well. I couldn't tell the difference. Makes me think it's not worth buying more than Deore, and just buy new ones when they get to the point where it's a stuggle to get good performance.