#Bloodycyclists Twitter post driver Emma Way guilty

bucklb
bucklb Posts: 296
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat

Comments

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Guilty is good enough for me, lesson learned i reckon.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Hmmm except:
    Way refused to comment as she left court, saying she had signed an exclusive television deal
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I hope she's donating the money to road safety charities, but I suspect not.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    "It is the biggest regret of my life so far."

and

"The court heard she lost her job as an accountant as a result of the tweet."

Connected? I think so.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Hmmm except:
    Way refused to comment as she left court, saying she had signed an exclusive television deal
    Oh dear. There should be a law that takes any money people make off the back of such an incident and gives it to some sort of victims charity.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Miss Way, of Watton, was acquitted of driving without due care and attention.
    Claiming the collision was Mr Hockley's fault, Miss Way said she had been driving at 15mph and her road positioning was as far to the nearside as possible.

Ridiculous verdict, and particularly galling in a fortnight that has cost the lives of 6 cyclists.

Does anyone actually buy that she was going at 15 mph and as far to the nearside as possible? No? Seems the judge did. :roll:
  • I hope she's donating the money to road safety charities, but I suspect not.

Or at least to pay her 'road tax' :roll:
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • daviesee wrote:
    "It is the biggest regret of my life so far."

I thought that showed a remarkable degree of foresight.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Hmmm except:
    Oh dear. There should be a law that takes any money people make off the back of such an incident and gives it to some sort of victims charity.

There is. See the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 (Exploitation memoirs). Whether anyone will invoke it is another matter.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Personally think she got what she deserved and this wasn't a lenient verdict IMO.

Her car, by her own admission, hit a cyclist. There are no reports of damage to her car, surely she would have tweeted that had there have been. This indicates, but doesn't confirm, that she wasn't going incredibly fast.

The damage to the cyclist and his bike was minor. She lost her job, will now have to live with her noteriety. I'm glad she was found guilty, fined and 7 points on her license.

For me it ends there.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • IME the sentence is about par for the course for those offences.

Just because she is an idiot who tweeted stuff after doesn't mean she deserves anything extra.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Personally think she got what she deserved and this wasn't a lenient verdict IMO.

Her car, by her own admission, hit a cyclist. There are no reports of damage to her car, surely she would have tweeted that had there have been. This indicates, but doesn't confirm, that she wasn't going incredibly fast.

The damage to the cyclist and his bike was minor. She lost her job, will now have to live with her noteriety. I'm glad she was found guilty, fined and 7 points on her license.

For me it ends there.

Who are you and what have you done with Don?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Who are you and what have you done with Don?
    Hes gone all soft now hes a daddy.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • IME the sentence is about par for the course for those offences.

Just because she is an idiot who tweeted stuff after doesn't mean she deserves anything extra.

This is key. She has to be sentenced in accordance with others and the guidelines.

Using Twitter makes a person a twat, it's not yet an aggravating factor for sentencing purposes. :lol:
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So plead not guilty to failing to stop and report, then in her own evidence admitted it, would have saved herself at least £130 with a guilty plea to that and £200 on the costs once found not guilty of DWDCA.

I wonder if she got the idea of the TV deal from the Traffic Cops when Katie Price was stopped.....I doubt anyone has been dumb enough to pay her for her story!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It annoys me that all the coverage so far has been about how idiotic she was to tweet about it rather than how callous she was to knowingly hit a cyclist with her car and then fukc off without checking the guy was okay FFS. If I clipped a cyclist while driving, weather I were at fault or not, I would still stop and make sure they were okay.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • I've heard a few people say that because she didn't get done for driving without due care this meant it was the cyclist's fault and he must've been on the wrong side of the road :roll:
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"