Power2max, FSA Cranks, BB30 and Adapters advice!

barry_kellett99
barry_kellett99 Posts: 480
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Ok, the short hand version:
Just acquired a Cannondale CAAD10 frameset, with BB30 Bottom Bracket. Lovely Jubbly. I have trained for the past year and a bit on a powertap wheel and was pondering purchasing a Power2Max Unit for the Cannondale as it will be used for racing more, where I would prefer to have a decent wheel choice, rather than racing on the powertap.

However, the price of the Rotor 3D+ unit is a substantial chunk more than the FSA Gossamer option.

But the FSA option is a standard 24mm axle. I can use adapter cups to run it.

My questions are thus:
  • Will I lose out on any performance benefits by running a 24mm Axle when the frame is designed for a 30mm? The Q-Factor will be greater? Will I notice?
  • Having never had much joy with FSA stuff in the past and being a shimano fan, is there anything to be aware of on the Gossamer crank?
  • Anything else I should be considering?!

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Other option (unless I've missed something) is bond in a threaded adaptor and just use a standard chainset and external BB. This is what I did on my BB30 frame as I wanted to use a DuraAce chainset.
  • trek_dan wrote:
    Other option (unless I've missed something) is bond in a threaded adaptor and just use a standard chainset and external BB. This is what I did on my BB30 frame as I wanted to use a DuraAce chainset.

Yea, that is an option, but seems a very final solution.
    I don't like (permanent) change!
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    praxxisworks converter bb? A non permanent solution to 24mm axle woes
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • I have no problem converting, I am just wondering if anyone has shelled out for 24mm axle cranks instead of proper BB30's when the frame is made for BB30... and if there are any downsides to it
  • I'd echo the advice on going for the Praxis, this is what I'll be using in my new Felt BB30 frame. Not as final as a bond in adapter, you could always move over to a BB30 chainset in the future.

To be honest I doubt very much you'd notice any difference in terms of the 24mm spindle vs the 30mm spindle. Yes each leg will be about 1cm further apart than if you were running a BB30 crank, but again you'd not notice the difference. You just have to look at the amount of pros using shimano 24mm cranks to know they must be pretty good at the job.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    I use a Rotor adapter BB on my TT bike to use Rotor 3D cranks with a standard 24mm axle on my Planet X Exocet 2 with BB30. It's non-permanent, you simply tighten the 2 halves to each other through the frame. All is plenty stiff and solid and never a creak. Recently bought a Power2Max myself and got it with another set of Rotor 3Ds so I can also use it with my road bike with a standard BB.

So many people have bad experience of BB30 bearings creaking and wearing out quickly I wouldn't worry about missing benefits.
  • Sourced a good deal on a second hand Rotor 3D+ so situation resolved anyway.

If BB30 bearings are creaking, they will creak whether you are running 24 or 30mm cranks. In fact, using adapters increases the amount of creaking possibilities. Creaking doesn't really bother me too much though.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    trek_dan wrote:

It's not permanent, Canndondale say the their 24mm BB30 sleeve adapter can be pressed out again a couple of times on CAAD frames. Not advised on carbon.
    I used a home made headpress to install. The Cannondale kit came with loctite and installation cups. I don't think the Loctite is necessary most of the time as it's a pretty tight fit. Nor are the cups if you have a suitable press.

61CKamWF3cL_SX522_.jpg~original
  • adamfo wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

It's not permanent, Canndondale say the their 24mm BB30 sleeve adapter can be pressed out again a couple of times on CAAD frames. Not advised on carbon.
    I used a home made headpress to install. The Cannondale kit came with loctite and installation cups. I don't think the Loctite is necessary most of the time as it's a pretty tight fit.

61CKamWF3cL_SX522_.jpg~original

Very interesting, thanks for the tip.
    Will keep it in mind for future in case I need to change!