Cyclist Twitter post driver Emma Way found guilty

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Navrig wrote:
    She regrets the tweet, which got her caught rather than the incident itself. Am I reading the article correctly?

I would say you are indeed reading it correctly.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    Lets remember she's also ruined her life and lost her job. She's paid a price far outside of the sentence here.

err, lost limb or something similar is a ruined life. Finding a new career isn't.

I agree she has paid an appropriate price though. Let's face it, we could all rant about sentencing in the courts everyday of the week but this one seems about right.

What's the first thing employers do when recruiting...on-line research...she won't find it easy to get a new job. For the record I think that's great but I won't join the militant streak of this forum and not be happy until she's strung up by her toe nails. She was a stupid young kid that made a mistake and paid a big price...most of the holier than thou brigade would have you think they've never made a stupid mistake in their youth.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,605
    spen666 wrote:
    For all those ranting on here about how its a disgrace etc.

Please remember she was found NOT GUILTY of careless driving.

She was only guilty of failing to stop/ failing to report an accident. She cannot be sentenced for the standard of her driving as she was found not guilty of that offence

Exactly. The implication is that her driving was fine and the accident was therefore presumably more the fault of the cyclist. But hey, the magistrates only listened to the evidence at hand so what do they know? That said, she seems to have got off quite lightly for the failure to stop / failure to report (especially with the boasting about it afterwards). Could this be as the cyclist also didn't report it and the whole thing only came to light due to the Tweet? (Just idle speculation!).
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Did i read that last line right in the article - she has "signed an exclusive tv deal"??? Please dont tell me this stupid girl is going to profit from her actions!!

At least she lost her job - so thats some punishment at least (more than the fine)!!
  • GiantMike wrote:
    She tried to kill him with her massive car and got away with it, then the judge, who was probably her Dad or boyfriend, let her off and made the cyclist buy her a new car, or something like that. I demand the right to be outraged by something that didn't happen and that I don't understand because I can't be bothered to research it. It's an outrage,

You forgot the bit about the Cop who dealt with it being in the same lodge as the Judge/Father/Boyfriend....

Either that or the prosecution failing because he couldn't be arsed to do his job as he's too busy harassing motorists. Oh no, hang on, that can't be right.

8)
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Navrig wrote:
    She said: "The tweet was spur of the moment. It was ridiculous and stupid and I apologise to all cyclists.

"It is the biggest regret of my life so far."

She regrets the tweet, which got her caught rather than the incident itself. Am I reading the article correctly?

I particularly like the fact she's fully expecting to do something she regrets more in later life.

Aim low, treacle. Aim low.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    DavidJB wrote:
    Lets remember she's also ruined her life and lost her job. She's paid a price far outside of the sentence here.
    Oh yeah - her life is ruined!!!

See the last line of the BBC report "Way refused to comment as she left court, saying she had signed an exclusive television deal."

Another publicity hungry one!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • bigaac
    bigaac Posts: 72
    i find it irritating that the only thing she seems to regret is getting caught.

She regrets the tweet, not the fact she wiped out another road user.

And the 'exclusive tv company' should be ashamed as well. couldn't give a **** what she has to say, she's had an opportunity to apologise twice before (on tv) and failed.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    TheFD wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    Oh yeah - her life is ruined!!!

See the last line of the BBC report "Way refused to comment as she left court, saying she had signed an exclusive television deal."

Another publicity hungry bint!

New presenter for Top Gear?
  • bigaac wrote:
    And the 'exclusive tv company' should be ashamed as well.

Perhaps Bravo is back with Topless Darts....?

I miss that, it was my favourite. 8)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    DavidJB wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    As to this absurd road tax thing. I have five cars so I probably pay way more road tax than she does.

http://ipayroadtax.com/

NO SUCH THING AS ROAD TAX.

Oh FFS - its a term used when referring to Vehicle Excise Duty ... it matters NOT what you call it - the principle is the same - you have to pay a TAX to use your motor vehicle on the ROAD.

Bleating on that "there is no road tax" is completely pointless and misses out on the more important fact that VED bases charges on levels of CO2 - so cyclists "pay" the same level as an electric car - but without any of the COST to the government - so we're saving them money by not "paying" "ROAD TAX" ...

False. Terminology is massively important. You Fail.

No ... It's not ... Understanding is .... Which you don't appear to ... Oh well ....your loss
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Regardles of what we think of her, the use of the term Bint at least twice is uncalled for. She is a woman who has made a mistake and is paying for that. Bint is a sexist term that has no place here. Remember it is a comment on a public forum that got her into trouble in the first place :wink:
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    bigaac wrote:
    i find it irritating that the only thing she seems to regret is getting caught.

She regrets the tweet, not the fact she wiped out another road user.

And the 'exclusive tv company' should be ashamed as well. couldn't give a **** what she has to say, she's had an opportunity to apologise twice before (on tv) and failed.

Have you been to the junction/road where the accident was?

Why do we believe the cyclist that she had crossed over to his side of the road? Because he has a witness who happens to be his mate? Of course she was let off the dangerous driving charge - there was no proof. It was a simple case of he says one thing and she says another.

Yes the tweet shows she acted in a stupid manner but not many 22 year olds thinks about their future closely. And anybody who blasts her in the media or on a public forum without knowing ALL of the case details is assuming that because a fellow man puts lycra on and shoves a saddle between his legs he must be telling 100% truth. That's much more naive as she was!!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Also slightly sexist I think as this is a older man being believed over a younger woman. The tone of this thread has been she is a woman and therefore cannot drive. I agree there is no proof she caused the accident. It is all to easy to comment on things we know little about, lets stick to the facts.

My opinions are not meant to cause offense as such but what I read here buy various posters does offend me to a point so I am saying something.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I don't want to see any more sexist language on this thread or I will lock it and ban a few people!
    left the forum March 2023
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Is 'treacle' sexist? Somebody used it earlier.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    GiantMike wrote:

I used it in a patronising way, rather than sexist.

Just to be clear.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike wrote:

I used it in a patronising way, rather than sexist.

Just to be clear.
    :D:D I'm only joking. It's part of my drive to make it to moderator. :D:D
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Pross wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

She was only guilty of failing to stop/ failing to report an accident. She cannot be sentenced for the standard of her driving as she was found not guilty of that offence

Exactly. The implication is that her driving was fine and the accident was therefore presumably more the fault of the cyclist. But hey, the magistrates only listened to the evidence at hand so what do they know? That said, she seems to have got off quite lightly for the failure to stop / failure to report (especially with the boasting about it afterwards). Could this be as the cyclist also didn't report it and the whole thing only came to light due to the Tweet? (Just idle speculation!).

A cyclist doesn't have to report a road traffic collision as they are not in a mechanically propelled vehicle. Read sect 170 of the Road Traffic Act.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • smidsy
    I used it in a patronising way rather than sexist. Just to be clear.

Oh well that is OK then

Patronise
    treat with an apparent kindness which betrays a feeling of superiority.
    synonyms: treat condescendingly, treat with condescension, condescend to, look down on, talk down to, put down, humiliate, treat like a child, treat as inferior, treat with disdain, treat scornfully/contemptuously, be snobbish to, look down one's nose at

I would have stuck with sexist :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • A couple of things -

- As has been highlighted on Twitter (ha, the Irony), it is illegal to profit from a criminal conviction - therefore she shouldn't be allowed to take payment for her 'exclusive TV deal' - wonder if that gets followed up

- She was on Daybreak this AM - where again she never once expressed regret at the serious offences of failing to stop and failing to report. Her solicitor, whilst an utter knobend, was doing his job well, asserting that she ended up in court for a tweet, rather than the offences above (which she was convicted of).

- She has now got another job as an accountant, so hardly had her 'life ruined'. She also is now asserting that she sent the tweet as she was 'Angry' at the cyclist - think this is about the 3rd different version of the story.

- Obviously, Daybreak's crack interviewers (Aled 'Snowman' Jones and Lorraine 'off the telly' Kelly) really took her to task..... ha, of course not. The sign off was 'so you no longer tweet, ha ha', not 'so you wont in future fail to stop or fail to report a collision'. It was a total load of balls where she was made out to be the victim of a prosecution about a tweet. there was no challenge either on the content of the tweet about 'rights of way' (!) etc.

- Nothing was mentioned about her tweeted picture from a few months prior to the incident, showing herself driving @ 90mph.

- The thing that I think gets most people annoyed is not what was said on a tweet but the continued attitude that she didn't really do anything wrong - even accounting for the acquittal on the careless driving - and no suggestion that she will moderate any of her actions in future whilst driving, which should concern all local drivers in her area.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,430
    I don't want to see any more sexist language on this thread or I will lock it and ban a few people!
    At random? Or can we nominate? :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • smidsy
    seanoconn wrote:

Well for your sake you should hope for the former. :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,430
    smidsy wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Well for your sake you should hope for the former. :lol:
    Gulp :lol:

Back on topic. I like the name Emma, it's one of my favourite names for a woman.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pross
    philthy3 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

A cyclist doesn't have to report a road traffic collision as they are not in a mechanically propelled vehicle. Read sect 170 of the Road Traffic Act.

I didn't say he had to did I? I was specifically idly speculating on whether it was used as a mitigating factor in her sentencing. We also haven't heard if the cyclist involved disputed that he was at fault (for example, did he cut a bend) but some people seem reluctant to accept that she was not guilty of driving without due care and attention.

I had the misfortune of catching the end of her interview on Daybreak this morning (they were at pains to stress she wasn't getting paid anything). She was asked if she had anything to say to the cyclist and looked about to reply when her solicitor cut in along the lines of 'what can she say? She's apologised for the tweet and the accident wasn't her fault' he went on to make a glib comment about not tweeting and driving. Surely an apology for not stopping and checking the cyclist was OK was in order? She was a fool for not stopping and a bigger fool for her tweet but I took an instant loathing to her solicitor. He appears to be taking every opportunity to gain publicity presumably in the hope of becoming the go to solicitor for rich clients hoping to get off seemingly indefensible cases. I suspect Ms Way would have gladly disappeared back into obscurity to hide her embarassment but the solicitor comes across as a Max Clifford wannabee!
  • GiantMike
    You people watch Daybreak?
  • Pross wrote:

I had the misfortune of catching the end of her interview on Daybreak this morning (they were at pains to stress she wasn't getting paid anything). She was asked if she had anything to say to the cyclist and looked about to reply when her solicitor cut in along the lines of 'what can she say? She's apologised for the tweet and the accident wasn't her fault' he went on to make a glib comment about not tweeting and driving. Surely an apology for not stopping and checking the cyclist was OK was in order? She was a fool for not stopping and a bigger fool for her tweet but I took an instant loathing to her solicitor. He appears to be taking every opportunity to gain publicity presumably in the hope of becoming the go to solicitor for rich clients hoping to get off seemingly indefensible cases. I suspect Ms Way would have gladly disappeared back into obscurity to hide her embarassment but the solicitor comes across as a Max Clifford wannabee!

He's done a very very poor job indeed. In his closing yesterday he flat out accepted that his client was in breach of her statutory duties (sic). The Magistrates had absolutely no choice other than to convict on the basis of that statement alone. I'd be looking at negligence if I were her.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • GiantMike wrote:

Only had it on because I'd heard she was going to be on, was interested to see how it was framed to the general public. Sadly, they met my expectations.
  • Pross
    GiantMike wrote:

The wife does - I just turn it on as part of my morning duties when taking her a cuppa. I'm just too nice!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Now the stupid bitch is claiming to be the victim, dear god! she just loves the publicity

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-25013820