Cycling on Ice/Frost

2»

Comments

• gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Slowbike wrote:
    Perhaps I was really lucky - I did take it really carefully - but these are taken using a vid cam mounted on my CX bike with standard semi-slick cx tyres on - the semi bit is because they have knobbly edges - they're not good CX tyres though - as UGO can vouch for! Knobblies are no good on sheet ice - but if there's any break in the surface they'll probably grip.
    Can't remember what pressure I used. Probably around 60-70 on 32mm tyres.

How did I survive? Slow, steady riding, no dramatic steering, aiming for the crunchy stuff, avoiding sheet ice and a good deal of luck.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should get out there and ride on ice - that's ridiculous - but neither do you need to be scared of it - it needs respect and you do run the risk of falling off and doing some serious damage - but you run that risk on the road anyway. I'm just showing that it can be done relatively safely...

iceconditions1.jpg

snownice.jpg

I don't think you're really getting it as you are still suggesting that 'riding carefully' you will be ok - it isn't. You may be being careful - so was I and I'll bet so were the others. When you hit black ice you're over before you have any time to react at all - I didn't even get my hand off the handlebar and I've been doing sports that require good balance and reactions all my life.

If you haven't gone over yet and you ride regularly on ice then it's more by luck than judgement.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Gimpl wrote:
    I don't think you're really getting it as you are still suggesting that 'riding carefully' you will be ok - it isn't. You may be being careful - so was I and I'll bet so were the others. When you hit black ice you're over before you have any time to react at all - I didn't even get my hand off the handlebar and I've been doing sports that require good balance and reactions all my life.

If you haven't gone over yet and you ride regularly on ice then it's more by luck than judgement.
    What was I riding on then?

Ice - black or otherwise - it's Ice ... it's just you can't see it (easily) - if you read how I think I survived ....
    Slow, steady riding, no dramatic steering, aiming for the crunchy stuff, avoiding sheet ice and a good deal of luck.
    You'll see that I do attribute my staying upright to luck ... that and avoiding the SHEET ice - which would include black ice (although you can't see that - easily).

What can I say - my balance isn't that brilliant and I can't levitate (despite taking lessons at Hogwarts) - I've ridden many miles on Icy roads with normal CX tyres - so how did I stay up?

Reading this thread it seems many think that the moment you ride onto Ice you fall over - that's not true, almost true - but clearly it is possible to ride icy roads on a bicycle - although I think I'll steer clear of an ice rink ... ;)
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    I don't think I'll be heading out this winter after a big off in the summer...but I am giving serious consideration to wearing elbow pads like the MTB or downhillers often wear. That would at least cushion some of the blow. I wouldn't mind wearing some lycra with hip pads as well. Every little helps!