xo trail brakes anyone running long term ?

sbd16v
sbd16v Posts: 93
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for some brakes for my stumpy as its the only thing I'm now not happy with

I've never really had a problem with the elixirs but I am descending faster on the stumpy which has highlighted there weakness

I've read good reviews about the xo trail but I'm still up in the air between them and xtr trail

Are the old problems of needing bleeds gone ?

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    XTR trails, or even XT's. End of thread.
  • sbd16v
    sbd16v Posts: 93
    lawman wrote:

My sensible side says xt but my desire is for xtr, you've seen my thread you can guess which side normally wins lol

But I've just never had an issue with the avids so I'm attracted to the xo trails
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    You missed a bargain on Ebay a few days ago. Full set of brand new X0 Trails (including discs and caliper mounts) went for just over £200.
  • lawman
    sbd16v wrote:
    lawman wrote:

My sensible side says xt but my desire is for xtr, you've seen my thread you can guess which side normally wins lol

But I've just never had an issue with the avids so I'm attracted to the xo trails

The thing with any avid brakes is you never know if you're going to get a good set, some last pretty well others die very very quickly. With Shimano you know they're going to last and Imo they perform better anyway.

I wouldn't ride Avid brakes if you paid me
  • I am not an Avid slater have x9 and they are totally trouble free . I feel too many people jump on the bandwagon of slating them .
  • lawman
    I am not an Avid slater have x9 and they are totally trouble free . I feel too many people jump on the bandwagon of slating them .

I've just seen far too many go wrong. In the LBS I used to work we had probably a dozen sets come back with faults and numerous friends have got so fed up of them going wrong they've sold up and gone Shimano. In my university club we have upwards of a 20 sets of the new Shimano style brakes and not one has gone wrong.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I have XO trails on one of my bikes, they are very good but no better than XT's i have on my other bike.
    I would save some cash and buy the XT's.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty