Found the cause of that back pain...

rickeverett
rickeverett Posts: 988
edited November 2013 in Road general
I get pain sometimes in the upper back at the sides of my ribs up into my neck ... if anyone knows what the cause of that is I sure want to know. (my reach is spot on)

Intermittent too.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    To the OP. I'd also consider going to a physio who can assess the real reason for any lower back pain. If we have sedentary jobs sat at a desk all day, the muscles in the glutes from the small of the back leading down and around the hips to the legs become stretched in comparison to those at the front of the hip. Putting it in simplistic terms as explained to me; this crouched position eventually makes it painful to stand for any length of time because you're suddenly fighting against a taut abductor at the front with little or no elasticity from the rear muscle group to stabilise the back.

I've recently been treated for a rotated pelvis as a result of this which meant a course of injections into the right ankle. Evolution dictated that we spent most of our time standing upright, but modern lifestyles mean many of us spend most of our time in a crouched position sitting down. Riding a bike further aggravates that change in posture.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The core is the answer to most back pain, exercise that and you will be cured. :wink:
  • Bozman wrote:
    The core is the answer to most back pain, exercise that and you will be cured. :wink:

Probably
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Nice read and glad you got it sorted. At the end of the day it's what works for you. I sometimes think you can over analyse things with a detrimental outcome. There are a lot of people making a good living out of making cycling complicated