Petition

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
I don't know if it will do any good but it can't do any harm.

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/c ... 1384710540
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    signed
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I've been suggesting this for ages now. Its a great idea
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Several MPs have said that they ignore clicktavist campaigns from pro-forma sites like 38 degress. They are too easy for the lazy to generate noise.

If you want their attention then write a letter and post it to them. If you can't be bothered to even do that, then why should they be bothered to spend time on your point?
  • daviesee
    davmaggs wrote:
    Several MPs have said that they ignore clicktavist campaigns from pro-forma sites like 38 degress. They are too easy for the lazy to generate noise.

If you want their attention then write a letter and post it to them. If you can't be bothered to even do that, then why should they be bothered to spend time on your point?
    Good idea.
    I propose that we all write to Patrick McLoughlin, Secretary of State for Transport, to arrive on Thursday 19th December so that he will have plenty time to read them over the Christmas break.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    Wearing headphones when cycling does not breach the rules of the road.

There are road safety ads. They are a bit crap, but they exist.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    davmaggs wrote:

What a terrible attitude to take. Surely it should be easy to get in contact with your MP or make your opinion heard. Why should the difficulty of the contact method make mine or anyone elses opinion any more or less worthy.

Maybe if I was an MP with my own expenses paid parliamentary secretary I would get them to write a letter for me.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Mattsaw wrote:

What a terrible attitude to take. Surely it should be easy to get in contact with your MP or make your opinion heard. Why should the difficulty of the contact method make mine or anyone elses opinion any more or less worthy.

Maybe if I was an MP with my own expenses paid parliamentary secretary I would get them to write a letter for me.

MPs are swamped by constant communication by hundreds of lobby groups every day of the week. Automated email is an enabler of high-volume, but low-effort (and probably content) templated blurb, and of this machine generated 'noise' there are going to many people who can't be bothered.

How many hours of your life do you spend reading the junk mail that arrives in your spam folder just to make sure you aren't missing that one true nugget of wisdom?

I don't defend MPs on everything, but they deal with a volume of comms that few of us would ever have to wade through.

In short, if you want to be heard then use a suitable communication method with a message that stands out.
  • daviesee
    davmaggs wrote:
    In short, if you want to be heard then use a suitable communication method with a message that stands out.
    Fathers 4 Justice tried that.
    Nobody interested in my mass mail suggestion then?
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    davmaggs wrote:
    Mattsaw wrote:

MPs are swamped by constant communication by hundreds of lobby groups every day of the week. Automated email is an enabler of high-volume, but low-effort (and probably content) templated blurb, and of this machine generated 'noise' there are going to many people who can't be bothered.

How many hours of your life do you spend reading the junk mail that arrives in your spam folder just to make sure you aren't missing that one true nugget of wisdom?

I don't defend MPs on everything, but they deal with a volume of comms that few of us would ever have to wade through.

It's not automated email though is it? It's a petition. Which by your measure is a far better way to get many peoples points across rather than contacting them individually.

I still don't really get why harder methods of contacting MPs are more deserving of attention. Maybe when I want to complain about the next door neighbours cats using my garden as a toilet I'll drag myself over broken glass while wearing a mankini while juggling and playing the harmonica? That'll definitely get prioritised right?

Or maybe common sense should be used and issues prioritised based on the number of people they affect and the severity of the consequences?

Besides, I don't for a moment think MPs deal with these things personally. That's what their staff/kidsemployedatinflatedrates get paid for.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava