Shoes

tv
tv Posts: 338
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I am looking at some new shoes, torn between the two below, what would you go for?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/diad ... -prod69089

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/a ... tAodWF8Ahw

I can get the Diadora's for just less than the Riots!

Thanks

Comments

• I think the Diadoras are pig ugly.

Are you 41?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    How about Giro Trans ?
    Fantastic shoes, available around the £100 mark (usually £150).
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • tv
    Thanks for the response, yeah the trans look really nice, I do like the idea of the heat molding soles of the riots, would that be a big added benefit? The diadora's just seemed a great deal from the rrp!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    tv wrote:
    Hello,

I am looking at some new shoes, torn between the two below, what would you go for?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/diad ... -prod69089

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/a ... tAodWF8Ahw

I can get the Diadora's for just less than the Riots!

Thanks

Go for the pair with the best fit. No point going for the pair that everyone else votes for, if they kill your feet.
  • To find the best fit, I bought 4 pairs;

Lake CX331
    Bont Vaypor Plus
    Bont Zero
    Specialized S works

The S Works just swung it for comfort.

The rest are for sale/sold.
  • Tbf fair, you won't beat S-works for comfort
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Tbf fair, you won't beat S-works for comfort

Yes you will. I returned mine as they were awful, just didn't hold my heel well enough and I ended up with soft tissue bruising.

Anyway, the best/most comfortable shoes are the ones that fit, as per Imposters response.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Imposter wrote:
    Go for the pair with the best fit. No point going for the pair that everyone else votes for, if they kill your feet.

This.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 unless this is Vogue magazine or something - get the shoes that fit you.
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    I voted Diadora simply because i had a pair of Diadora's in the 80s!
    However, buy what fits.
    I buy Northwaves principally because they are a good fit for me.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Only ever had one pair of Diadora shoes - bright yellow trainers back in the 80s. They fitted small and when my feet got hot my feet swelled up and they ached. Sold them to my brother.

Moral of the story - function over form so buy for fit.
  • 86inch wrote:
    I buy Northwaves principally because they are a good fit for me.

I own a pair of Northwave Fighter SBS shoes and TBH, i dont even know i have them on they are that comfy.

To the OP though, for the price you are willing to pay, i would have plumped for a pair of Sidi's. But like everyone says, get a pair that fit you well.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • tv
    Thanks for your responses, I best get trying on then!
  • jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    I am just in the process of buying some new shoes and went to see Matt Jackson at the footlab for an appraisal of my feet and some recommendations on which shoes would fit me best. After looking and measuring my feet Matt has suggested a couple of different shoes that he thinks are right for me. I have and need moulded inserts and Matt also gave me exercises to do to help keep my feet and ankles working properly. I think it would be well worth a visit to a sports podiatrist if you can find one in your area who may be able to suggest what you should look for in a shoe for you. We spend lots of money on bikes, bike fit's, clothing etc getting the right position on the bike and so on, i for one thought it was worth spending a little money on a "foot fit". Also as the shoes Matt has suggested are on sale it has offset Matt's cost which i thought was quite reasonable.