9 speed not 10 speed chain etc

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
i was thinking of upgrading to 10 speed but i noticed that i wont be able to take the chain apart with powerlock connectors by hand like i do with my sram, 9 speed powerlink connectors for weekly cleaning,

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Kmc quick link
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 KMC link

works on KMC and Shimano 10spd chains
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    i was thinking of upgrading to 10 speed

In what way do you believe it to be an upgrade (extra sprocket on the cassette?). I would stay with 9 speed.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • im upgrading everything from 9 to 10 speed for the new bike im building
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I understand you want to change from 9 to 10. My question still remains, in what way is it an upgrade.

IME 10 speed is a lot more problematic and does not perform as well as 9 speed. I have Ultegra Group sets on 2 of my bikes and the 9 speed is miles better than the 10.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • i really wanted to stay with 9 speed i have sora shifters with the thumb lever on the hood 3400, was wanting to upgrade to better 9 speed shifters, but there isnt any about apart from sora again and was also wanting to change from triple chainrings to compact, so i was thinking of ultegra 6750 chainset and everythingelse 10 speed, guess i could just get the chainset as it will work with my ultegra rear mech 6600 gs medium and change my front mech from triple to double, just be left with the sors shifters.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    There's Tiagra 4400; 105 5500, Ultegra 6500, Dura Ace 7700, all of which you'll find every so often in the classifieds on here, or ebay, lfgss or one of the many other bike forums.