Shimano vs Look Pedals

IrishMac
IrishMac Posts: 328
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi All :)

As per title, I'm getting a new set of pedals, I currently use Shimano R540 pedals, don't see anything wrong with them bar they're worn out.
As my bike has Ultegra I figured that I'd get the pedals to match, although my uncle has started singing the praises of Look pedals so I've had a look at them but don't know whether I'd like them because I'm buying them off of Wiggle or ChainReaction, I know I can exchange or whatever but it's awkward and I'd rather not.

I have it down to these two or three:

Shimano Uletgra SPD-SL 6700 http://bit.ly/HZVsoR

Look Keo 2 Max http://bit.ly/fKvElm

I've also spotted these which are slightly above what I wanted to spend but was wondering if they would be worth the extra bit if I do decide to get Looks.

Look Keo Blade Carbon http://bit.ly/nsI6R3

Thanks.
Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
Trek 1.2

Comments

• meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Also have the R540's as my first clipless, and found nothing wrong with them at all. Just posting as also interested in what opinions are out there.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    I had 2 sets of Look Keo 2 Max bearings go on me and the pedal body snapped, though I had some good experience with the lower models of Looks. My brother rides with Shimanos and had no problems, I think the cleats of those last longer than Looks as well. But now I'm riding Speedplay!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've used Look for years and I've never had one failure, from day one I found them easy to use and they're idiot proof, I've always recommended them to friends when they start out and I've yet no hear of one negative comment from them.
  • IrishMac
    :shock: hm, I've heard of bearings going on Shimano pedals too so maybe it was bad luck?
    DHTT wrote:
    But now I'm riding Speedplay!
    cool, how do you find them? I had a look at them but was put off by 44 euro for cleats :(

Thanks Bosman, idiot proof works for me :lol:

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • I went across from shimano spdsl to look keo a few months back. Pedals are light and have less turning resistance. I find they are more balanced and therefore easier to get in and our of. The bearings in the shimanos were tight.

Only trouble is the cleats seem a tad softer and therefore ware pretty quickly- mainly if you step in the ground.

Don't think I will go back to shimano ones now however.
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Just started to use Shimano R540 road pedals after years of using Shimano MTB SPD’s, found the road pedals fiddly to clip in and needs a lot more force to unclip compare to MTB SPD even though is on half turn from lowest setting, , can someone with experience recommend some pedals that’s easy to clip in please.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    I've always used Look....mate has always used Shimano !
    Shimano seem a little heavier then Look but recon they would last longer ...Shimano bearings about as good as bearings get.
    I've never had any issues with Look Keo's although the bearings do seem to wear a little quicker then expected.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    This is the first generation Keo Blade which has quite a thin carbon spring. Some of these springs failed - I have a pair which cracked with very little useage. On the second generation they have significantly beefed up the carbon spring. Not sure I would bother with the 1st generation.

I went from Look back to Shimano. Pedals were fine, hated the cleats.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    if you like your pedals stick with them, just buy Ultegra, Dura Ace. The Shimano cleats last longer than the Look ones.
    I have tried Look, Shimano and Time. It is just personnel preference
  • I have the Look Keo Classic pedals simply because i have a Campag groupset and didnt want anything Shimano on my bike at all. I have only started using my bike for the last 2 weeks so i cant really comment on them as yet, but i do feel really secure when my shoes are clipped in.

If you have the Shimano Ultegra groupset though, i would go for the matching pedals if it was me, but then again thats a touch of OCD on my part. I couldnt have mismatched kit.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have used Shimano dura ace on my commuter bike since 2007 and continue to use the same pedals without a problem.

I tried Look titanium spindle/ carbon body blade pedals which lasted around 3 months. During that time it was very apparent that the cleats are nowhere near as durable as Shimano; when wet, I found that the cleats squeaked in a very irritating way (apparently this may have been because I had the non slip version of the cleats); finally I found them to be very fragile when I accidentally clipped a verge and one of them pedals snapped in half.

In fairness, the accident could have happened with Shimano pedals - I replaced the Looks with new dura ace which I suspect are heavier and possibly more robust.

The Look bearings seemed to spin quite a bit more freely than the Shimano's however, a friend has recently had to return his Look Blades due to problems with bearings. The Blades do seem to provide a great platform/ contact patch for the cleats but I'm not sure this is very different to the dura ace.

Dura ace are less sexy, more workmanlike and will not be replaced by Look on my bikes!

Peter
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have used Shimano (in various guises) and found them to be faultless in all weathers (so bearings seem no issue).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • If you do go for the Ultegra, Rose a have good deal at the moment:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... opoffers:1
  • I took my brothers bike out for a spin and he had shimano pedals on it. I was impressed with them as I normally use standard pedals on my mountain bike without clips.

The only concern I had is that it took me a bit of fiddling to rotate the pedal and clip in. I appreciate that this becomes second nature after a while, but are there any pedals out there at sit the right way up naturally?
  • andyc182 wrote:
    The only concern I had is that it took me a bit of fiddling to rotate the pedal and clip in. I appreciate that this becomes second nature after a while, but are there any pedals out there at sit the right way up naturally?

Dont worry about that mate. In very little time it does become very easy to get your shoes in the pedals, even without looking at them while you do it. Give it a bit more practice and you will have no worries at all.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    I switched to look as I sometimes go to the track and use hire bikes which have look pedals.

I have also used time and shimano. Very happy with Look. Easy clip in and out but they do seem to squeak!
  • IrishMac
    Thanks for all the replies and opinions everyone. I've decided to go with the Ultegra pedals London Commuter showed the link to, they're simply too good a deal to pass plus they'll have everything matching :)

Thanks all

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    That's a good price for ultegra pedals.
    I researched ultegra vs 105 a while ago, consensus seemed to be that there's no discernible difference between 105, ultegra and DA. Other than to your wallet.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    One thing to consider is that look cleats have about 50% of the adjustable range of Shimanos so there's a chance you won't be able to get them in the right place.

This is a particular problem with people who need a lot of rotation.

Also the Shimano bolts are much better with the 4mm heads than the 3mm Looks which round off quite easily.