Tesco hydration pack?

raldat
raldat Posts: 242
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
People have said good things about the Tesco hydration pack and I will be visiting the UK briefly this week so I would like to try one out.

Question is... What sort of Tesco store carries them and, as I will be in the Bedford area for a meeting, does anyone happen to know of a store around there has them in stock?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• I actually got one from the cardington road tesco superstore in bedford but this was 2 or 3 years ago. Also, the cap cracked on the reservoir on mine and leaked, it was also really hard to suck liquid through compared to the camelbak i have now.
  • john2002
    john2002 Posts: 158
    try the click and collect servive. you can get it sent to a store that will be close to you when you visit.
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/click-and-collect/?icid=Avatar%20-%20The%20Game_Click%20%20Collect_172200009
    GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011, Fixie, frankenbike
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    For around a tenner they are a bargain. I bought one a few years ago to try out (old fashioned bottle user)but it just keeps on going.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • raldat
    Thanks everyone and yep Cooldad, that is exactly my idea. Mostly happy with bottles but a few things have made me think it might be worth a try.

Click and collect. Great idea. Had not thought of that.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Always been impressed with my Tesco pack for £12, but the weak point is the bite valve. It's not the best to use, and does leak a few drops down you as you ride. Bargain for the price, but I just found this and treated myself to a bargain upgrade:

viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12947347
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Another +1 for the Tesco pack here. It's very basic, but for £11 is great, when with many other bags you don't even get the hydration pouch included, and you'll pay £10 just for one of those....

Agreed the bite valve lets it down - i replaced mine with one that looks exactly like this, but cost me £3.50 and it's great - really improved the flow rate.

Apart from that, though, am happy with the tesco one - main pocket is big enough to hold a spare tube, compact water proof, mini pump, shock pump, puncture repair kit, basic first aid kit and a few snacks, even with a full bladder. Zippable front pocket holds phone, multi-tool, camera and money easily. Side mesh pockets useful for stuffing gloves and glasses into when not in use. Finally there's bungee cord criss-crossing the back of the pack, so if you get really hot and have to lose a layer you can stuff it in there if there's no room left inside the bag.
  • raldat
    Got it. It looks good. I will give it a run on the weekend. Thanks for the help.
  • raldat
    Used it today in a 45km XC race. Verdict, pretty good. Worth 11quid for sure. Bite valve seems a little tough to get a drink through but I am not sure what they are supposed to be like
  • john2002
    john2002 Posts: 158
    with my camelbak you dont need much pressure the baby drinks out of it with out any problms.
    extra pressure is a good thing, it shouldent leak when its hanging down..
    GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011, Fixie, frankenbike
  • Kowalski675
    raldat wrote:
    Used it today in a 45km XC race. Verdict, pretty good. Worth 11quid for sure. Bite valve seems a little tough to get a drink through but I am not sure what they are supposed to be like

The bite valve is poor (mine leaks a few drops down you while riding too, if not held facing upwards), worth replacing with a decent one.
  • raldat
    raldat wrote:

The bite valve is poor (mine leaks a few drops down you while riding too, if not held facing upwards), worth replacing with a decent one.

Thanks, I might do that. Still, total bargain and a great intro to using hydration packs instead of bottles. I suspect I am converted.
  • Kowalski675
    Yeah, at £12 I've had my money's worth from mine, and now I've retired it as a hydration pack it'll double as a useful little rucksack for motorcycling, on the odd occasions that I might want one.