Tyres for Autumn/winter

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,578
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
Morning all,

Not commuting anymore, as currently 5 minutes walk from home, but am trying to get out once a week for 30/40 miles.

I currently have a pair of these on:
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/tyres-road-tri-track-folding-continental-ultra-sport-folding-tyre/conttyrf225
CONTTYRF225_1_large.jpg

I reckon they have probably covered 600 miles or so, and the tyre tread seems fine, but noticed a 1cm cut in the tyre last night.

What do people recommend for wintery conditions?
I am Hungerford way, so I gather there is a lot of flint that gets washed onto the roads, and from riding last weekend it was also strewn with leaves and mud in places - it tends to be small country roads I predominantly ride.

I always hear good things about the rubino pro, and fitted a pair to my gf's bike, although had to change one due to a big split on the first ride out.

What about michelin pro 4 endurance?

Budget wise, most I want to spend ideally is £40, or £50 if it is exceptional, and that's for both tyres!

Oh and if they come in blue that would be a bonus ;-)
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Cuts are inevitable in any tyre that's even vaguely pleasant to ride on - broken bottle glass being the prime culprit.

What are you looking for from this tyre? no tyre gives you everything so it's a choice between rolling resistance, grip, weight, puncture resistance, price - you'll get maybe 3 out of 5 from a good tyre and 4 out of the best. It's why I love the Rubino Pro - some people complain about grip (they do actually make a grippier version) but it's a great combination of speed, weight, puncture resistance & price (and I've no complaints about grip) - it's not the best for any of those but I haven't yet found a tyre that combines them all so well - and it's a steal at around £17 a pop. If a bottle does destroy it, I'm not going to feel too bad about it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2013
    What are you looking for from this tyre?.

Fair play, I did not provide enough info on the first post!

I did buy some puncture resistant Vittoria Randonneur Pro's and they were fine, but the problem is/was getting the buggers on and off the wheel, the only way I could manage it was with long metal levers, and I don't fancy/do not have the room to cart them round on a ride, hence they were shelved.

I guess I am not so worried by lack of rolling resistance, but want some degree of puncture protection, longevity, and hopefully some kind of grip in the wet and muddy conditions.

Does anyone swear by moving to 25's for the winter?

I've never had an issue with 23's in the winter before, but someone must buy 25's.

Also, do people run them at lower pressures in the winter?

I usually run mine at 90-100psi year round.

I may well just go for some of the rubino pro's but interested to hear if people have other experiences.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Dan, you still looking for cheap carbon bars?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... -prod36071

+1 to Rubino Pros in 25mm.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Daniel B wrote:

I've never had an issue with 23's in the winter before, but someone must by 25's.

I run 25s all year round. I see no benefit in running 23s. This winter I'm going to be running anything between 28 and 35.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    I'm running 32mm Vittoria Randonneur Pro Cross. Find they roll pretty well and have enough tread if I take to the trails. Might be good for the Singular Asprilla.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm running 32mm Vittoria Randonneur Pro Cross. Find they roll pretty well and have enough tread if I take to the trails. Might be good for the Singular Asprilla.

I contemplated them at you and Ugo sung their praises but I've already got the following hung up in the garage:

28mm Conti 4Seasons
    32mm Challenge Grifo XS
    35mm Schwalbe Kojaks
    32mm Michelin Mud2

Even I'm beginning to think I've got enough......
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • daniel_b
    Been doing some more surfing, and found a lot of glowing reviews of the Maxxis Refuse tyres.
    18083835.jpg

I have found them for £20 a tyre, and they in the main get glowing reviews - anyone on here used them?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Daniel B wrote:
    What are you looking for from this tyre?.

Fair play, I did not provide enough info on the first post!

I did buy some puncture resistant Vittoria Randonneur Pro's and they were fine, but the problem is/was getting the buggers on and off the wheel, the only way I could manage it was with long metal levers, and I don't fancy/do not have the room to cart them round on a ride, hence they were shelved.

I guess I am not so worried by lack of rolling resistance, but want some degree of puncture protection, longevity, and hopefully some kind of grip in the wet and muddy conditions.

I've never had an issue with 23's in the winter before, but someone must buy 25's.

Also, do people run them at lower pressures in the winter?

I usually run mine at 90-100psi year round.

I may well just go for some of the rubino pro's but interested to hear if people have other experiences.

Cheers

Dan

23mm Specialized Espoir Elite's holding up well so far, only puncture was from a ham-fisted attempt at clearing glass from a cut. £25 each at Evans: http://46.231.185.37/products/specializ ... e-ec033713
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

I've never had an issue with 23's in the winter before, but someone must by 25's.

I run 25s all year round. I see no benefit in running 23s. This winter I'm going to be running anything between 28 and 35.

Yup - I run 25s all year round - found them faster (for me) than 23s (like for like tyres)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH