Going tubeless ?

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm a bit confused by what kit to buy as there seems to be a wide variation in kit prices.

For example, the No Tubes Stans Flow Tubeless Kit is £53 however the Hope kit is about £22.

I have done the match up for my rims and says Stans Flow kit but £53 against £22, granted the flow comes with the rubber rim tape.

Also, some just suggest gorilla tape and tubeless valves, so all a bit confused with what to get.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What tyres and rims do you have?
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Giant P-XC2 29er on the giant strangely enough.

Mavic crossrides on the Canyon.

In regards what tyres, I have a few options. On the giant at the moment it's NN front and back, though may put on a Hans Damph up front.

On the canyon, again, at the moment, HD on the front, and an NN, an Ardent or Ikon on the rear( season dependent)
  • You will need a kit that provides rim tape to cover all the spoke holes, a valve and some sealant (and it is easier with tyres that are at least tubeless ready in design).

I've used Stans before and its worked really well. Hope is new to me, didn't know they did a kit. The user reviews on CRC (of the hope kit) are favourable - the only criticism seems to be a bare minimum amount of sealant in the kit. Worth a try though at half the price...
  • I use the hope kit with non tubeless tyres. They sealed first time and hold pressure fine on wire bead high rollers.
  • mainsy
    mainsy Posts: 57
    I done my giant s xc rims with three wraps of gorilla tape, valves cut out of old tubes and Stan's sealant.
    No issues whatsoever, and plenty tape left to do about another 6 wheels.
  • I use the hope kit with non tubeless tyres. They sealed first time and hold pressure fine on wire bead high rollers.LVyb2g
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I'm a complete noob to tubless so maybe you guys can help.

Just got a set of 2013 Crossmax ST wheels and will be using Hans Dampf TrailStar Evo Tubeless Ready tyres.

As the rims are UST, do I just need sealant or would I still need the whole kit?

I've always thought tubeless as work of the devil, but I'm slowly coming round :)

Cheers,

Lee

EDIT: Checked on the Schwalbe site and looks like I just need valves and sealant. Sorted ;)

http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tubeless_ready
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8