Opinions Canyon £1600 Difference

diamonddog
diamonddog Posts: 3,426
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Just after opinions, do you think the £1600 price difference is worth it?

Canyon CF SLX 9.0 SL
Sram Red 22
6.10kg
Mavic R Sys SLR
OR
Canyon CF SL 9.0 SL
Sram Force 22
6.75kg
Mavic Ksirium SLS

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Entirely subjective decision... it's worth it if you think it is!
  • I have the CF and some other high end carbon exotica, cant fault the standard model myself. I haven't ridden the SLX version but I wouldn't pay the £1600. The CF is a match for almost anything out there in the same genre. Will you personally notice the difference? Depends on what kind of rider you are. My CF has handbuilt 24mm wide rims, 28mm 4 seasons, lockable bottle cages, a chain catcher and double taped bars and is excellent for fast riding on crappy roads or even single track. 10 min's conversion work moving race rims around its all smooth race bike. Love it. I have 7 others but most months this gets most use even though its certainly not the most expensive in the stable!
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    edited November 2013
    IMO I don't think so.

It gets to a point where it becomes silly after £1500-2000 price range. A law of total diminishing return. Especially as 99% of buyers are recreational or amateur level who don't really need it.

I do think in the bike world especially that we are being conned and ripped of by manufacturers. Is that kit REALLY £1600 more? - not a chance. If you think about it - its a mear bicycle at the end of the day - for thousands of pounds.

that price difference could buy you the Carbon SL 9.0 as a Summer bike and the Aluminium SLX 9.0 as a winter bike .... https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3284 :mrgreen:
  • diamonddog
    IMO I don't think so. Canyon CF SL 9.0 SL

It gets to a point where it becomes silly after £1500-2000 price range. A law of total diminishing return. Especially as 99% of buyers are recreational or amateur level who don't really need it.

I do think in the bike world especially that we are being conned and ripped of by manufacturers. Is that kit REALLY £1600 more? - not a chance. If you think about it - its a mear bicycle at the end of the day - for thousands or pounds.

that price difference could buy you the Carbon SL 9.0 as a Summer bike and the Aluminium SLX 9.0 .... https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3284 :mrgreen:

Good points, thanks.
  • diamonddog
    brownbosh wrote:
    I have the CF and some other high end carbon exotica, cant fault the standard model myself. I haven't ridden the SLX version but I wouldn't pay the £1600. The CF is a match for almost anything out there in the same genre. Will you personally notice the difference? Depends on what kind of rider you are. My CF has handbuilt 24mm wide rims, 28mm 4 seasons, lockable bottle cages, a chain catcher and double taped bars and is excellent for fast riding on crappy roads or even single track. 10 min's conversion work moving race rims around its all smooth race bike. Love it. I have 7 others but most months this gets most use even though its certainly not the most expensive in the stable!
    Some good info there, thanks.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    It gets to a point where it becomes silly after £1500-2000 price range. A law of total diminishing return. Especially as 99% of buyers are recreational or amateur level who don't really need it.I do think in the bike world especially that we are being conned and ripped of by manufacturers.

100% agree
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    It's only money, you can not take it with you as the saying go's !!!!!

If you prefer the more expensive one, you can afford it
    and if it puts a smile on your face, then why not ???
  • Rokt wrote:
    It's only money, you can not take it with you as the saying go's !!!!!

If you prefer the more expensive one, you can afford it
    and if it puts a smile on your face, then why not ???

true but is it worth the extra ? - imo NO..... However if OP could afford that layout its probably worth spending the difference on a Winterbike like the Aluminium or CX Canyon posted a few posts above.

Therefore he can have two smiles on his face in all seasons !

The trick manufacturers and marketing do is convince people that the bike £1600 more but weighs a few grams less is worth it. But if you can afford it with ease then that's perfectly acceptable - just not as wise as you could have two excellent bikes for the same cost.