Need advice on upgrading derailleurs.

GARZX9R
GARZX9R Posts: 3
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Hi , new to road riding, just got my self a Forme Longcliffe 4, it has FSA Tempo compact cranks and shimano 2300 derailleurs 8 Speed, Ive just removed the sunrace 12/25t cassette and put on a shimano 11/28t which is a lot smoother, What could I upgrade the front derailleur with, and am I right in that ive read on forums that you can put mountain bike derailleur such as shimano shadow xtr on, if not what road rear could I upgrade to, thanks in advance. stu

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    The FD would probably be the last thing to upgrade not the first!
  • So what is the best route to go, and parts to use taking into consideration the existing parts fitted.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    GARZX9R wrote:
    So what is the best route to go, and parts to use taking into consideration the existing parts fitted.
    The best route is to ride the bike. And if something wears out, ask about upgrades. Until then, enjoy the bike! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Generally tires and wheels then as things wear out.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Flasher wrote:
    Generally tires and wheels then as things wear out.

I'd add clothing to the above list too - rather be warm and comfortable on the bike than replacing parts that are fine.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    i've hired road bikes with 2300 a few times, it does the job, as above, if it's not broken leave it alone

aside from bling, weight and comfier shifters, there's little difference between the performance of 2300 and the most expensive groupsets

make sure it's adjusted correctly and kept clean/lubed as necessary, learn to measure the chain for wear and check it every couple pf months, your 2300 will ride very well for many many years

'upgrading' can be a money pit, i'd save towards a new (or good used, can be excellent value) bike, or even something non-cycling (gasp)

if you really want to spend money and are in cycling for the long run, get the basic tools for maintenance and learn to diy, in future maybe you'll get another bike, the tools and skills will still be useful, over the years they'll save you a fortune vs. paying a shop to do your servicing
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Does it shift, if so just ride it
    Yellow is the new Black.